Double Bonus hold question

Discuss proper hold strategies and "advantage play" and ask questions about how to improve your play.
JimmyJam41
Forum Newbie

Double Bonus hold question

Post by JimmyJam41 »

I have been playing DB lately and I have been using the WOO guide as well as the gold and Pro trainer. Nowhere does it say to hold an Ace and a Q, K, or Jack assuming no other option. For example, when dealt a Ac, Kd, 7s, 5d, and 3c, it suggests to hold the Ace and King however, other times, it will say only old the Ace, this happens with Q’s and I am sure I have see it with J’s. What is the secret to when you hold only one or the two high cards. Again assuming un-suited and only low cards. I’m bout to go out of my mind trying to understand it. TIA!

dinghy
Video Poker Master

Post by dinghy »

JimmyJam41 wrote:
Wed Oct 11, 2023 5:52 pm
For example, when dealt a Ac, Kd, 7s, 5d, and 3c, it suggests to hold the Ace and King however, other times, it will say only old the Ace
Good question. Someone will be along with a better answer, but this is an issue of "interference" or "penalty" cards. In your example, the 3 is suited with the A, so to hold the Ace-only you have to throw away one of your potential flush cards.

Because of this reduced flush potential, it's better to change tactics and hold Ace King.

If you try the analysis with a 3 of any other suit, the Ace-only will become correct because now you have unimpeded flush potential.

onemoretry
Video Poker Master

Post by onemoretry »

I'll try this one.

If you have an ace with an unsuited king, queen, or jack, hold only the ace unless the other three cards include both a flush penalty (to the ace) and a low straight (5,4.3,2) penalty, in which case hold the unsuited high card, as well. The low straight penalty and flush penalty can be done with just one card (a 5,4,3,2) suited with the ace, or with two. In your example, there is a three suited with the ace, and hence, holding the unsuited king with the ace is correct.

However, if the hand also contains a 10 off suited from the ace, forget all the above and hold just the ace.

Good luck!