One Hundred Play VP question

Discuss proper hold strategies and "advantage play" and ask questions about how to improve your play.
Koren55
Forum Newbie

One Hundred Play VP question

Post by Koren55 »

I like playing 100 play video poker, but I’m not sure of strategy for Triple Double Bonus.

We’re dealt two pain, AAJJ. We hold the AA only.

But what about:
a) KKJJ - hold both, or go for quads? Note: either or pays 5 credits
b) 3355 - hold both, or go for quad 3s? Note: holding both pays 5 credits.
c) KK99 - hold both, or go for quad Ks? Note: holding the Ks pays the same as two pair.
d) 2244 - hold both or go for either quad 2s, or quad 4s? Note: holding both pays 5 credits.
e) QQ33 - hold both or go for quad 3s + kicker, or go for quad Q’s?

Is the strategy the same for Single play, triple play, five play, ten play, 25 play, 50 play, or 100 play?

If you hold both pairs the best hand to get is a full house. Worse case - your money back.
If you hold any Low pair, the best you can do is quads w/kicker. Worse case nothing.
If you hold any High pair, the best you can get is quads. Worse case - your money back.

I’ve been trying to determine the correct move.

Playing 100 Play VP easily gets you percentages to check. I was trying to follow the rules for TDB, but I was restricting myself to two pair or a Full House, so what I’ve been doing in a two pair deal is:
a) Two high pair - holding one pair (Ks or Js), to go for quads
b) Two pair, one Low, one midrange - holding the low pair, to go for quad/quad+
c) Two pair, one high, one midrange - holding the high pair, to go for quads
d) Two Low pair - holding either low pair, to go for quad/quad+
e) Two pair, High and Low - holding the high pair to go for quads.

Again I’m playing 100 play Triple Double Bonus.

What’s the correct strategy? In Single Play, you get one chance. In 100 play, you get 100 chances.
What would you do? What would Dancer do?

Thanks

onemoretry
Video Poker Master

Post by onemoretry »

In all those examples, the correct strategy is to hold the two pairs. The fact that you are playing multiline is irrelevant - the strategy doesn't change.

Eduardo
Video Poker Master

Post by Eduardo »

The "correct" hold will vary based on your objectives.

If you will be playing the game a lot and want to make the best decision for your long term outcomes, then the strategy will be the same whether you are playing single or 100 play. In fact, this becomes even more important in 100 play as any error will be off a hundred times.

However if you are playing 100 play and you are down to your last deal and your wife says you are sleeping on the couch tonight if you don't hit a quad on the draw, the correct hold is the pair.

TripleTriple
VP Veteran

Post by TripleTriple »

Koren55 wrote:
Thu Mar 07, 2024 12:22 pm
I like playing 100 play video poker, but I’m not sure of strategy for Triple Double Bonus.

We’re dealt two pain, AAJJ. We hold the AA only.

But what about:
a) KKJJ - hold both, or go for quads? Note: either or pays 5 credits
b) 3355 - hold both, or go for quad 3s? Note: holding both pays 5 credits.
c) KK99 - hold both, or go for quad Ks? Note: holding the Ks pays the same as two pair.
d) 2244 - hold both or go for either quad 2s, or quad 4s? Note: holding both pays 5 credits.
e) QQ33 - hold both or go for quad 3s + kicker, or go for quad Q’s?

Is the strategy the same for Single play, triple play, five play, ten play, 25 play, 50 play, or 100 play?

If you hold both pairs the best hand to get is a full house. Worse case - your money back.
If you hold any Low pair, the best you can do is quads w/kicker. Worse case nothing.
If you hold any High pair, the best you can get is quads. Worse case - your money back.

I’ve been trying to determine the correct move.

Playing 100 Play VP easily gets you percentages to check. I was trying to follow the rules for TDB, but I was restricting myself to two pair or a Full House, so what I’ve been doing in a two pair deal is:
a) Two high pair - holding one pair (Ks or Js), to go for quads
b) Two pair, one Low, one midrange - holding the low pair, to go for quad/quad+
c) Two pair, one high, one midrange - holding the high pair, to go for quads
d) Two Low pair - holding either low pair, to go for quad/quad+
e) Two pair, High and Low - holding the high pair to go for quads.

Again I’m playing 100 play Triple Double Bonus.

What’s the correct strategy? In Single Play, you get one chance. In 100 play, you get 100 chances.
What would you do? What would Dancer do?

Thanks
100 play TDB? I would run. Fast and far.

Triple double bonus looks fun, exciting and even a reasonable pursuit. However, it requires incredible patience and perseverance to play regularly and maintain sanity not to mention a substantial bankroll. It is sweet DDB's evil step-sister with an axe to grind spitting out masochists without regard or remorse. Definitely not for the faint of heart, the undisciplined or the underfunded. You have been warned...enjoy (it's a great game- the only thing I play)

Hiker1
Forum Regular

Post by Hiker1 »

Eduardo wrote:
Thu Mar 07, 2024 2:38 pm
However if you are playing 100 play and you are down to your last deal and your wife says you are sleeping on the couch tonight if you don't hit a quad on the draw, the correct hold is the pair.
Ha,ha… I always buy sofas with that possibility in mind and make sure it is comfortable….

onemoretry
Video Poker Master

Post by onemoretry »

onemoretry wrote:
Thu Mar 07, 2024 1:48 pm
In all those examples, the correct strategy is to hold the two pairs. The fact that you are playing multiline is irrelevant - the strategy doesn't change.
Just to clarify: my comment is about all of the examples with the exception of two pair, with one pair being aces. Holding just the aces is correct for that one.

olds442jetaway
Video Poker Master

Post by olds442jetaway »

Ha,ha… I always buy sofas with that possibility in mind and make sure it is comfortable….

That’s why I kept my dads house just two miles from mine and his power Lazy Boy too!! Sorry, forget how to highlight and post quotes from another post.

New2vp
Video Poker Master

Post by New2vp »

olds442jetaway wrote:
Thu Mar 07, 2024 9:58 pm
Sorry, forget how to highlight and post quotes from another post.
Click on the red square with the white quote mark in it. Then write your message after the word "/quote" in square brackets.

olds442jetaway
Video Poker Master

Post by olds442jetaway »

Great thanks!

Jstark
Video Poker Master

Post by Jstark »

The only TDB I play, and it's very sporadically, is Dream Card.
20240128_013731.jpg
Attachments
20240115_001359.jpg
20240115_011109.jpg
20240115_011132.jpg