Super Shockwave: Retrigger?

Why do you play video poker? What is your favorite game and why?
New2vp
Video Poker Master

Super Shockwave: Retrigger?

Post by New2vp »

I believe this "Super" game has been out about a dozen years. The Shockwave game feature, prior to Super Shockwave, was that any quad hit during "regular mode" wins a normal amount based on the regular mode pay schedule and also triggers the machine to go into "shockwave mode." Shockwave mode would last for a maximum of 10 hands where a 2nd quad would be worth 4000 coins. The 2nd quad would push the game back into regular mode if the quad was hit in hands 1 thru 9 after the first quad.

In 2011 or 2012, a new variant called Super Shockwave allowed the player hitting a quad to choose from among 5 different jackpots and duration combinations for a "shockwave quad":

5 hands to win 7800 coins
8 hands to win 5000 coins
10 hands to win 4000 coins
15 hands to win 2800 coins
20 hands to win 2200 coins

Super Shockwave was discussed in this forum way back when, with some thinking it would be available on this website, but I don't think the game ever appeared here, at least, not yet.

I saw a post by "vetsen" on the Wizard of Vegas video poker blog indicating that he was "100% sure" that there was another change brought about by Super Shockwave: a quad hit during the "shockwave" mode would immediately start a new round of "shockwave" hands where quads were paid once again at the shockwave jackpot level.

Does anyone have experience or knowledge that confirms or refutes vetsen's claim?

Optimal strategy and EV would change slightly depending on the veracity of vetsen's statement.

Webman, please feel welcome to join in answering this question if your company has access to this knowledge. Bob Dancer wrote a column (October 11, 2011) about this game when it was at G2E without mentioning "re-triggering" ( https://www.lasvegasadvisor.com/gamblin ... ming-show/ ), and I don't believe the information on the machine's glass or help screens mention the re-trigger feature either.

Karl_EDT

Post by Karl_EDT »

I don't ever recall hitting a quad within 10 hands after hitting a previous quad. 20 hands either, but unless the math is extremely advantageous to do otherwise, I would opt for the 20 hands and be happy to catch a 2200 payouit instead of the 4000 to 7800 range for 10 or less. Im' neither a good player or very sophisticated so I am glad to hear other opinions.

olds442jetaway
Video Poker Master

Post by olds442jetaway »

If I’m ballpark correct, one would have about a 1 in 40 shot at hitting a quad in Shockwave mode. Funny, last week I had back to back quads in JOB, but it’s been years since another one before that.

dinghy
Video Poker Master

Post by dinghy »

New2vp wrote:
Sat Mar 02, 2024 8:47 pm
I don't believe the information on the machine's glass or help screens mention the re-trigger feature either.
It is mentioned on the machine I looked at. Maybe they updated the help screen.

New2vp
Video Poker Master

Post by New2vp »

Cool, dinghy, thanks. That help screen looks quite clear. And exactly makes vetsen's point.

pokerpokerpoker
VP Veteran

Post by pokerpokerpoker »

Cool game. I've actually hit it twice in not a lot of play.

Pp
20220721_153835_HDR.jpg
20220310_171149_HDR.jpg
Both times I sunk a dealt boat to connect.

New2vp
Video Poker Master

Post by New2vp »

Just the game if you want to sell out the small stuff and "go for it." I had never heard the metaphorical term for tossing the pair and holding just the trips when dealt a full house!