MARKETS,Anybody even yet?

Talk about your new shoes, new car, or UFO's!
TripleTriple
VP Veteran

Re: MARKETS,Anybody even yet?

Post by TripleTriple »

olds442jetaway wrote:
Sat Apr 27, 2024 2:28 pm
The chart with the YTD results is mine at Fidelity. Hope this helps a bit.
How in the world do your results help me?

I'm currently in 'negotiations' with two entities vying for my portfolio balance. I'm not thrilled with the commission/fees to juggle my assets ..thinking of just self directing. Why risk a large sum for chance of 10+% return when I can outpace current inflation by just buying CDs and Treasury bills...im already near retirement age.

olds442jetaway
Video Poker Master

Post by olds442jetaway »

My results probably are about what a balanced portfolio of ETFs would be for this year. I self direct and have no fees with Fidelity. I am 75 so my portfolio is probably a lot different than most people who are younger. I am heavily weighted in CDs and even one non taxable ( Federal ) municipal bond fund. The Mrs. has a non stock 403b Annuity for safety. My 403b equivalent is ( age related ) 75 percent cash, 25 percent stock fund, and only 5 percent bond. Bonds have underperformed badly but who knows what the future will be. High interest rates are very bad for bonds. What stocks I do have are heavily weighted toward dividends, but are of course subject to risk too. The biggest downside to CDs is the interest is taxable in the year earned so say good bye ( my bracket ) to 22 percent of it to Fed taxes and 7 percent to my Greedy State Ct. That’s a big nut. Since 1926 the market has returned 10 percent a year average, but I can’t risk a 20 year of a down market. I can’t advise you on what to do. My brother and sister pay big fees to advisors. So far I have done better than they have, but could be just luck. Anyway, good luck. It’s a tough decision. Also somewhat time consuming with self directing. The good part of that is even though I am a dinosaur 🦕 compared to the younger tech crowd, I am able to do everything I. need to do on my phone and at the touch of a couple of buttons on my phone, I can move money either way from my bank to Fidelity. I’m not necessarily plugging Fidelity, just saying it works for me. Good luck again.

case
VP Veteran

Post by case »

There is a guy who posts you tube videos most days. He is by far the best guy I have ever seen in the market. He is a technical trader who understands the charts better than anyone I have ever seen. He will tell you when to trade and when to buy at price points that are dead on. He also is a crypto expert if you are into that.

I am fairly well versed in trading as I spend a few hours each day but this guy knows more in his little finger than I all my knowledge I have ever learned. Some of his videos might not interest you but overall he can help anyone. Right now he has been dead on with Tesla.

Look on you tube for

stocks with josh

olds442jetaway
Video Poker Master

Post by olds442jetaway »

Thanks Case. I will definitely check him out. I always feel like whatever I do in the market is still a crap shoot. 🙂

olds442jetaway
Video Poker Master

Post by olds442jetaway »

I spent some time with Josh on YouTube. He is very clear about things, well spoken, and obviously knows his stuff. Thanks for the tip. 👍

olds442jetaway
Video Poker Master

Post by olds442jetaway »

Looks like inflation is doing a job on the market. I watched Josh with stocks 14 min video last night. Interesting to see how AAPL pans out. So far it’s up a tiny bit today. For now, I’m glad I have a big cash position percentage wise. Gasoline alone has gone up over 40 cents a gallon just in the last week. In California, my sister is back to paying 6 bucks a gallon. 😬

olds442jetaway
Video Poker Master

Post by olds442jetaway »

I just dipped my little toe in on AAPL. See how it goes. I can always add to it on dips or tanks of the general market.

FAA
Video Poker Master

Post by FAA »

NASDAQ -2%. Bloodbath city.

olds442jetaway
Video Poker Master

Post by olds442jetaway »

Could be the beginning. Remember what Case says. But low.

case
VP Veteran

Post by case »

Josh will be right more than wrong. He is away right now but usually post daily.

Tough day on the markets to end April