Where to start

Why do you play video poker? What is your favorite game and why?
dinghy
Video Poker Master

Re: Where to start

Post by dinghy »

OTABILL wrote:
Thu May 02, 2024 2:21 pm
Not always, The EV varies if there is a progressive.
In the context, a progressive would be a series or sequence of different games. A quarter 9/6 JoB progressive at $1150 is a 99.85% game.

At $1155 it's a 99.86% game.

Someone hits the jackpot (probably not me), and it resets to $1000. Now it's a 99.54% game.

Casheer74
Forum Newbie

Post by Casheer74 »

sticking to your bankroll is the most important thing you can do in a live situation.

OTABILL
Video Poker Master

Post by OTABILL »

dinghy wrote:
Thu May 02, 2024 3:42 pm
OTABILL wrote:
Thu May 02, 2024 2:21 pm
Not always, The EV varies if there is a progressive.
In the context, a progressive would be a series or sequence of different games. A quarter 9/6 JoB progressive at $1150 is a 99.85% game.

At $1155 it's a 99.86% game.

Someone hits the jackpot (probably not me), and it resets to $1000. Now it's a 99.54% game.
Exactly. The question then is how to calculate the EV with a progressive. Even harder when there are multiple progressives. I play DDB. Currently, the machines I play are 9/5 with a rf progressive. In the past, I played machines with rf, AWAK, aces, 2-4 with kicker, 2-4, and even quad progressives. Furthermore, regarding rf progressives, one needs to factor in the negative tax consequences when the value is greater than $1200.

dinghy
Video Poker Master

Post by dinghy »

OTABILL wrote:
Fri May 03, 2024 12:05 pm
Exactly. The question then is how to calculate the EV with a progressive. Even harder when there are multiple progressives.
An EV calculator such as at the Wizard of Odds will compute precise EV based on current progressive values. But there's a detail I left out of the numbers mentioned above: The meter rise adds value because everything added to the meter(s) eventually pays out to the players.

I haven't seen a consensus on how to account for this. I could be off-track here, but I usually factor in a large portion of the meter rise -- but not all of it.

For example, calculator indicates 99.0% at current values. Total meter rise is 1.0%.

I would probably assess the game at about 99.6 to 99.7%.

Of course EV calculations assume perfect strategy, which is more challenging in the shifting circumstances of a progressive.

As for taxes, you could discount the relevant jackpot amount(s) entered into the calculator.

olds442jetaway
Video Poker Master

Post by olds442jetaway »

Not everyone can do it, but if you are able to itemize your taxes, the Fed taxes can all be offset in a losing year. The state at least in Ct you are stuck. Total screw job, about 7 percent of Gross winnings.

OTABILL
Video Poker Master

Post by OTABILL »

olds442jetaway wrote:
Fri May 03, 2024 4:47 pm
Not everyone can do it, but if you are able to itemize your taxes, the Fed taxes can all be offset in a losing year. The state at least in Ct you are stuck. Total screw job, about 7 percent of Gross winnings.
True, but any increase in the AGI negatively impacts medical/dental and other deductions and credits relating to Federal and some state income taxes.

olds442jetaway
Video Poker Master

Post by olds442jetaway »

Yes it does and can also cause an increase in Medicare part B premiums. When you are forced to itemize to offset gross gambling deductions, you also run afoul of the 10,000 cap on State and local tax deductions. A higher AGI due to gross gambling winnings could trigger up to 85 percent of your Social Security annuity being taxed, no deduction for your traditional IRA contributions,
and reduced itemized deductions. I’ve probably missed a few things too.

AceTenBriggs
Forum Newbie

Post by AceTenBriggs »

Thanks for all of these responses. Y’all have been very friendly and specific in your responses. There’s a good amount to be taken in here.

I definitely agree with never going to be able to control the outcome, and that we are just gonna have to accept that there will be shitty sessions. What’s worse is a great session on a shitty coin setting.

So, it’s custom to have a bankroll that’s 1% EV to maintain a target RTP? Is there a way to scale that amount to any size bankroll is $100k what’s required to get the 100.5%? Otherwise, it’d just be 99.5%?

Anywho; if I sit down for a session with those numbers in mind, having established a bankroll, strategy on deck, and a rootbeer…what do I focus on then? The game? The Royal Flush? Is it our obsession to get that or do I detach and play to my target, if not losing altogether.

onemoretry
Video Poker Master

Post by onemoretry »

AceTenBriggs wrote:
Sun May 05, 2024 4:51 am
What’s worse is a great session on a shitty coin setting.

So, it’s custom to have a bankroll that’s 1% EV to maintain a target RTP? Is there a way to scale that amount to any size bankroll is $100k what’s required to get the 100.5%? Otherwise, it’d just be 99.5%?
I have to confess that I do not really know what all this means.

What is a shitty coin setting?

What do you mean by "a bankroll that's 1% EV to maintain a target RTP?"

olds442jetaway
Video Poker Master

Post by olds442jetaway »

Ditto