Where to start

Why do you play video poker? What is your favorite game and why?
olds442jetaway
Video Poker Master

Re: Where to start

Post by olds442jetaway »

Mine is a cross between OTAs and if there are none of those issues, I just play till I get tired. Usually all night into the morning it if I bust. Usually bankroll is 800-1200. Sometimes less. I don’t really have a stop loss. Probably why I have so many losing sessions. Bad to get 200 ahead and finish 1,000 down. Discipline is a forever work in process. I know when I should quit. I usually don’t.

dinghy
Video Poker Master

Post by dinghy »

olds442jetaway wrote:
Mon May 06, 2024 5:45 pm
Usually bankroll is 800-1200. Sometimes less. I don’t really have a stop loss. Probably why I have so many losing sessions.
Your tactics are all variations on a theme, imo. You're trying to win sessions.

Let's say I follow the general framework: I quit at either +200 or -800.

Clearly I'm setting myself up to win frequently. Depending on game selection, I may win 75% of my sessions. Sounds great, but I'm still an overall loser because the big losing sessions wipe out the accumulated small wins.

olds442jetaway
Video Poker Master

Post by olds442jetaway »

Yes that can and does happen. Thats the nature of Martingale Clone. Then there are those occasional sessions like last night and today when you when thousands unexpectedly.

dinghy
Video Poker Master

Post by dinghy »

olds442jetaway wrote:
Mon May 06, 2024 7:55 pm
Then there are those occasional sessions like last night and today when you when thousands unexpectedly.
Very nice, congrats!! :D

I'm steering clear of the Recreational area, so I didn't see it.

olds442jetaway
Video Poker Master

Post by olds442jetaway »

I wouldn’t worry about it thanks. We all have thick skins. At least I think so. Anyway thanks. . I will never get another hot streak like that in my lifetime without a Royal either.

OTABILL
Video Poker Master

Post by OTABILL »

dinghy wrote:
Mon May 06, 2024 4:47 pm
OTABILL wrote:
Mon May 06, 2024 4:21 pm
For me, when to quit depends on a number of factors such as objective in playing, time constraints, money management, alertness, etc.
That's nice, but you don't have a winning system.
olds442jetaway wrote:
Wed May 01, 2024 3:39 pm
Instead of swinging for the fences, I should settle for a nice what I call hit and quit. I would be ahead at the end of every year.
That's better than Bob's system. Bob's only 25 of 29.
I do have a "winning system." It's not based, however, on monetary gain. Rather, my objective is usually to decompress, relieve boredom, and other similar factors at minimal expense. Obviously, the goal playing VP is to come out ahead financially. However, If I don't come out ahead financially but achieve my objective(s) spending a reasonable amount of money I consider myself a winner. To put this in perspective, my neighbors golf, fish, play pickleball for a variety of reasons and objectives. While their goal may be to score better than par, catch a trophy fish, or beat the competition, etc., not doing so does not take away from the enjoyment they get. My contemporaries, like me, factor in the cost to engage in recreational activities to achieve similar objectives. So far, I am satisfied with how my VP "system", if you want to call it that, works.

olds442jetaway
Video Poker Master

Post by olds442jetaway »

👍 I like that system. As I just posted in my other thread with the flower pictures ( and before I read your post OTA), “ To forget about life for awhile “.