Big Saturday Night at the Local Racino

Did you hit any jackpots? Did you get a great comp? We all want to know!
macaroo
Forum Rookie

Big Saturday Night at the Local Racino

Post by macaroo »

Last Saturday night I had a big night at my local gamblin hall (Racino).  Management had just installed 6 more Speido Upper Hand 25 cent VP machines.  Earlier in the week, I tried them all without success.  Saturday night I was bouncing around playing my favorite VP machines and I decided to retry playing these new machines.  I had to wait around as all the seats were filled with hopeful players.  Finally a mid row machine opened up and I was able to start playing.
  I am usually a  " minnow " playing on a limited bankroll for pleasure.  First thing I noticed that I was being dealt great hands repeatedly; drawing into 4 of a kind and Full Houses.  So I upped my bet to 5 credits a hand.  On the third hand or so, I was dealt 4 natural cards to a Royal Flush in diamonds; missing the 10 of diamonds. I went for it and out poped the 10 of diamonds completing the Royal Flush for $1000 payoff.  I sat stunned for a few seconds while everyone congratuated me for my stroke of good luck. Of course the machine shut down a spit out the ticket.
 About 1/2 hour latter, while playing the same machine, I heard my name annoucned over the sound system; they had just pulled my entry for a $500 St. Patty's Day cash give away.
 I left that night $1500 ahead and with a very satisfied feeling.  One of my best nights in my short gambling career!

shadowman
Video Poker Master

Post by shadowman »

Congratulations. It is fun when it's your time to shine.

cddenver
Video Poker Master

Post by cddenver »

I left that night $1500 ahead and with a very satisfied feeling.  One of my best nights in my short gambling career!

Congratulations on the nice win!  Now, don't get too greedy on the next trip, or you might end up like ----->

Did you buy drinks for everyone?

knagl
Forum Regular

Post by knagl »

Nice, congratulations on your win.

I think, though, that the manufacturer of those games that you mentioned only makes class II (bingo) games, which means that your "video poker" game is actually a slot machine in disguise.  Instead of 7's and cherries, you get playing cards that you get to 'hold' and 'discard', but the end result has already been determined when the cards are first dealt.

Either way, congrats on the wins.

macaroo
Forum Rookie

Post by macaroo »

I am aware that Cat 2 machines in NYS are based upon the results of a lottery type operation; a given set of prizes in a given set period of time.  The tirick is to find a machine that is at the end of it's set period and has a large number of prizes unawarded.  Can be a lot of fun in a short period of time.

shadowman
Video Poker Master

Post by shadowman »

I am aware that Cat 2 machines in NYS are based upon the results of a lottery type operation; a given set of prizes in a given set period of time.  The tirick is to find a machine that is at the end of it's set period and has a large number of prizes unawarded.  Can be a lot of fun in a short period of time.

Maybe I'm confused but I thought all these machines worked off a central server. This would eliminate any machine from having a "set period". Where did you hear this information?

macaroo
Forum Rookie

Post by macaroo »

[QUOTE=macaroo]

Maybe I'm confused but I thought all these machines worked off a central server. This would eliminate any machine from having a "set period". Where did you hear this information?[/QUOTE]

I have been playing there daily for the last 2 years.  I know or have gotten to know a lot of the employees that work there.  Some are customer service, some are in security and others are technical. I am in the computer hardware repair business and very familiar with PC internals and networking comcepts.
  Well, anyway, I have watch the technicians set up and reprogram new machines and have observed procedures and equipment. In talking with these people and doing a lot of research on the InterNet, I have come up with my own ideas on how these machines work.  Yes, you are correct when you assume they are networked to a Central Server for every play.  I do know that they have an RNG built in as they sometimes run in Stand Alone Mode when the Network is down.  How much the RNG comes into play during normal operation is anybody guess.  Nobody knows or they not telling! 
 I do know there are a lot of programmed hands built in as you see the same hands dealt repeatedly.  After awhile you learn to play them a certain way with the same results.  I think I have mentioned on this forum that most of the IGT's DW machines excluding Bally Match Poker have a neat feature that you can not throw away a dealt winning hand.  It will come back with the same hand different suite, different combination but same value or sometimes a better hand.  A very usefull bit of knowledge.
 When I go to a different property with Vagas style machine, I have to change my style of play accordingly.
 That is about all I know currently.  But I am always on the look out for new information that can help me play more successful.