Double Pay Spin Poker, top/bottom on draw

Why do you play video poker? What is your favorite game and why?
faygo
Video Poker Master

Double Pay Spin Poker, top/bottom on draw

Post by faygo »

Wasn't sure what heading this should go under. My question is after selecting the cards to keep on the draw, do the discarded cards on the top and bottom lines go back into their respective decks  to posibly be redrawn or are they gone?

Webman
Video Poker Master

Post by Webman »

The "help" screen in the game states:

"Replacement cards are dealt from the 52 card deck, excluding the five initially dealt cards"

So my assumption is that it means the top and bottom rows are reshuffled as you suggest.  Great question!

Think about it this way though... the top and bottom rows each have their own deck. So on the initial deal, you have 52 cards for each row.

However, when you hold cards, you are only holding cards that appeared in the center row (not the top or bottom rows).  So techinically, you are throwing out the top and bottom decks when you choose which cards to hold and using a deck that matches the center line for each of the other rows.

Otherwise, you would be removing the 5 cards dealt in the top row in addition to the held cards, and potentially the thrown away cards in the center row, but that would sure get confusing.

On the other hand, if the entire game was dealt from a single deck into all three rows, now THAT would get interesting.  

faygo
Video Poker Master

Post by faygo »

Webman thanks for your, as usual articulate, reply. The concern was that the very card we would need for a winning hand (ie: Royal) was being thrown away. I have tried to track the cards that were in the top and bottom rows to see if they ever appear again when making the draw.  So far they have not, but I only have tracked 100 hands.

This game could certainly be lucrative with a little luck on the deal.

Webman
Video Poker Master

Post by Webman »

I got a live example on just my second hand. It should not be hard to duplicate if you don't hold many cards.

In this hand, I held only the Jack. Notice I was dealt a seven of diamonds in the top row on both the deal and then the draw.

faygo
Video Poker Master

Post by faygo »

As they say, "Seeing is believing."
Thanks again.