New here & VP Newbie

Discuss proper hold strategies and "advantage play" and ask questions about how to improve your play.
shadowman
Video Poker Master

Re: New here & VP Newbie

Post by shadowman »

I forgot to mention that I go to Foxwoods in Ct.- I live an hour away. Any machine I should look for?

Double Joker Wild, 52 cards + two jokers, are the best machines I've seen referenced there. The paytable is 1-2-3-4-5-9-25-50-100-800 and the game returns 99.97% with perfect play. This is a very difficult game and will take a lot of practice to master.

With cashback and comps you can't expect much more than to break even over time with the potential for some big swings in either direction. Bankroll becomes very important with games like this one.

bigboy

Post by bigboy »

[QUOTE=Single_Tasker]I forgot to mention that I go to Foxwoods in Ct.- I live an hour away. Any machine I should look for?

Forget about foxwoods for v.p., paytables are atrocious.Mohegan Sun is not paradise for v.p. either. But, the paytables are better over-all compared to foxwoods.

MikeA
Video Poker Master

Post by MikeA »

Single Tasker....there is not much (considering "tricks") to VP other than what you've already gleaned from your research.  Concentrate on just one or two games at a time to start with...JOB 9/6 if you can find it.  It has just about the least amount of variance from Expected Return and has what I think is the most simple strategy to conquer.  I might then suggest 10/6 Double Double Bonus for when you get the urge to play out on the edge.  It has huge payoffs but also has about the highest variance.  Strategy isn't complicated as compared to Double Bonus.

But, you really should learn to play virtually perfectly.  Just a few mistakes can take that small mathematical advantage away.  JOB is a negative expection game anyway but is considered full-pay.  Factor in the comps you should get from your time at the machine and you should come out pretty close to even.

BTW....I'm not in this professionally.  I play for the entertainment value but am anal about giving myself every opportunity to win and that means finding the best games possible.

I'm far more astute at Blackjack than VP so I know where you are coming from with Basic Strategy. 

Use some Common Sense when playing and don't get in over your head.  BTW...what's so Common about Sense?

MikeA
Video Poker Master

Post by MikeA »

Good grief, that last post of mine made no sense in the context of the messages recently posted.  I replied to the FIRST post in the topic, thinking that it was the most recent.  I need a new drug!