10/7 DB vs 9/7 DB

Comments and suggestions about VideoPoker.com
Mr Double B
Forum Rookie

10/7 DB vs 9/7 DB

Post by Mr Double B »

I play 10/7 DB most of the time when in Vegas. It is gettting more and more difficult to find 10/7....at times I have to play 9/7 DB or just not play. Question::what are a few difference between  the "hold/discard" plays of 10/7 & 9/7. No! I am not asking for all of the differences, just a few of the biggest ones. Thanks  in advance for any help/info.

shadowman
Video Poker Master

Post by shadowman »

The biggest difference is on dealt FHs like AAA33, where you just keep the aces in 9/7.

New2vp
Video Poker Master

Post by New2vp »

Shadowman, I know that you meant to say that there is a difference in how you play 2 pair when there's a pair of aces included (a hand like AA337).  In 10/7, you keep both pair because the full house pays a bit extra; in 9/7 you keep only the pair of aces and hope for quads.When you have Aces full, you toss the pair and keep trip aces with both schedules.Mr Double B, Certainly I encourage you to make the above change in your strategy when playing 9/7, but there's not a big reason to make any other changes.As I'm sure you know, the 9/7 game when played with its own perfect strategy yields 99.11%.  Its standard deviation is 5.3430 bets.If you simply played 10/7 perfect strategy on the 9/7 game, you would be at 99.05% with a standard deviation of 5.2977 bets.  So the difference is only 0.06%, with a bit less volatility.At 800 hands per hour, this is a loss of 2.1175 coins per hour.  But making the above change recovers almost all of that (2.1122 or 99.75% of the difference).  You'll likely see Aces up 5 or 6 times an hour, and it's not too hard to remember, so it makes sense to make that change.All other changes make extremely modest gains to the EV.  Probably the 2nd most important one is to hold 4 Flush cards in 9/7 with hands like JcKeJe4e3e whereas with 10/7, it's best to hold the pair of Jacks.There are some more obscure changes, but these are relatively difficult exceptions to exceptions and probably not worth the effort to recall.  Examples include deals like A`T`Ke7c6c (where the 10/7 play is A` and the 9/7 play is A`Ke) and A`2`KeTe3c  (where the 10/7 play is A` and the 9/7 play is KeTe).

Lurking
Forum Newbie

Post by Lurking »

Thanks guys---just the info I was looking for. I appreciate your response.

Lurking
Forum Newbie

Post by Lurking »

errrrrrrrrr-question was from home. Thanks was from work!

shadowman
Video Poker Master

Post by shadowman »

Right you are new2vp. I guess not playing the game in several years has had it's affect.

Interestingly, when I played the game more often I tended to hold the pair of aces anyway. The cost is something like .01 if I remember correctly (and now we know that's in question).