Question for DBP

Discuss proper hold strategies and "advantage play" and ask questions about how to improve your play.
valden

Question for DBP

Post by valden »

Was on the Wizard of Odds tutorial and was playing dbp. Each and every time I had a pair with four of same suit, my tendency was to hold the pair. Tutorial said to hold for the flush. I would only hold the flush if it was for a straight. The tutorial also instructed to hold two pair when one was a pair of aces. I would always hold just the pair of aces since it already is a winning hand and go for the four aces. Am I crazy or is this the correct play. Valerie

Webman
Video Poker Master

Post by Webman »

By DBP I assume we are talking Double Bonus and not Deuces.

Video Poker for Winners, Triple Play Double Bonus, has me hold the Aces with an Expected Value of 8.8 vs. 7.23 on holding for the flush.

If you have a pair of face cards, it is very close... 7.28 vs 7.23 in favor of the pair since you are already given Jacks or Better. You really could go either way there since it is so close but I would rather at least hold on the the face cards to give me a shot at a quad.

If it is not a face card for the pair... the flush wins out substantially from a mathematical standpoint. 7.02 EV holding the flush or 3.71 for a pair of 5's. The flush is far more likely than a quad and trips won't win you as much any way, with still much lower odds. You could hold the pair and hope for a quad, but the odds say stick with your flush in this scenario.

The potential straight scenario makes it easy to decide... 4 suited cards that can lead to a straight flush, that's your best bet for sure. 

valden

Post by valden »

Thanks. I will change my strategy. Valerie

shadowman
Video Poker Master

Post by shadowman »

Was on the Wizard of Odds tutorial and was playing dbp. Each and every time I had a pair with four of same suit, my tendency was to hold the pair. Tutorial said to hold for the flush. I would only hold the flush if it was for a straight. The tutorial also instructed to hold two pair when one was a pair of aces. I would always hold just the pair of aces since it already is a winning hand and go for the four aces. Am I crazy or is this the correct play. Valerie

I think webman covered your questions very well. These are the correct plays for 10-7 DB. This is a difficult game and you will see many more holds that may puzzle you. However, you are heading down the right path to increase your gambling winnings. While most people would suggest starting off with an easier game I often recommend taking on a difficult game first if the player is planning on playing a lot of VP in the future. Once you get it down most of the other games will seem easy.

Just a note that if the game was 9-7 DB you would only hold the pair of aces instead of two pair. Keep up the practice! It's both educational and fun.

JHock12
Forum Regular

Post by JHock12 »

I almost always hold the 4 suited cards to make a possible flush, except when the pair is a 2-3-4 or ace(DDB), then I play it by ear, possibly explaining why my results haven't been all that great lately.  When you go with a less-than-huge bankroll, like I usually do, these decisions can make or break your trip.  When a straight flush is possible, it's a no-brainer in my opinion.  Hold the four, get the s.f. and have a cold one to celebrate!  Or just have the cold one anyway.  Works for me.  P.S. 10-7? Haven't seen that one too often.

shadowman
Video Poker Master

Post by shadowman »

P.S. 10-7? Haven't seen that one too often.

There's a lot of 10-7 DB offstrip in LV (Stations, Sam's Town, Arizona Charlies and Silverton are a few examples). Also in Reno and in Laughlin. I don't remember seeing any outside of NV although I'd think there must be a few.

Minn. Fatz
VP Veteran

Post by Minn. Fatz »

I almost always hold the 4 suited cards to make a possible flush, except when the pair is a 2-3-4 or ace(DDB)

I don't know about DDB but I show the play in Double Bonus is the same for 10/7 or 9/6 and depends on the number of high cards (A-J) in the hand. 4 to a flush with less than three high cards has a higher expected value than any nonpaying pair; four to an open straight; and 3 to a SF or a Royal, except for KQJ or QJT. With three high cards the flush draw is also better than any pair other than Aces and, at 10/7, any 3 to a Royal, but at 9/6 prefer the three-card Royal to the four-card flush.

When a straight flush is possible, it's a no-brainer in my opinion.  Hold the four

I show that's not the highest expected value if the dealt hand is a straight or flush. Better to hold the pat hand.

In the long run.