French Onion Soup

Discuss all things Las Vegas. Hotels, restaurants, good deals, airfares, cabbies, conventions, shows, etc.
MikeA
Video Poker Master

French Onion Soup

Post by MikeA »

I think that the best I've ever had was at Binion's down on Fremont this past week!  They have a really good Eggs Benedict too!  For Prime Rib, the best I found downtown was at El Cortez of all places!

Webman
Video Poker Master

Post by Webman »

The worst French Onion Soup I ever had was in, of all places, Paris France. I'm sure it just wasn't a quality restaurant (right near the Eiffel tower, probably a tourist trap) but it turned me off of it for years. I literally could not finish the small bowl of it.   Fortunately the next time I had it, it was fantastic. I'm still hesitant to order in a restaurant now, but perhaps I should ween myself of that.

MikeA
Video Poker Master

Post by MikeA »

My wife and I had a late breakfast (what's "late" in Vegas???) and the guy sitting next to us at the bar was having the soup.  It looked fantastic and he confirmed my preliminary suspicion.  It was everything I was hoping it would be.  I'm not a gormet of any kind...I don't even really like to eat other than to sustain energy...but that soup tempted me to become a glutton!  I was sort of surprised to find that dish at Binion's.  I mean, they are more renouned for their Chinese fare and Prime Rib than anything like that soup.  But give it a shot the next time you get the chance.  I know I certainly will!

technolight
Forum Newbie

Post by technolight »

sugar and spice at the wynn has the best onion soup i have ever tasted

PdxPete
Forum Newbie

Post by PdxPete »

My wife loves the Carson St. Cafe inside the Golden Nugget for her French Onion Soup.......

babybubba

Post by babybubba »

The BEST onion soup I've ever had is right here at home. My wife has it down and no restaurant can ever touch it. Sweet onions, ciabata bread and AGED swiss is the answer.

Shadow I know I know, the Injuns in Minnesota make it better. Anything tastes better after 6 hours at a 50c vp machine

Minn. Fatz
VP Veteran

Post by Minn. Fatz »

Onion soup is probably a little like sex, not at all hard to do but passing difficult to do well. Wild onion soup with fry bread, now there's an idea.
If I were dropped in Vegas and told to find the best onion soup in town I believe I'd head for Mon Ami Gabi at Paris (at least if I hadn't read the raves about Binion's -- or should that be Harrah's -- above). Haven't had it there but the few occasions we visit we make a point to stop in for a late lunch of (for me) Monte Cristo sandwich and frites. They make a very creditable and generous Manhattan there as well.
Try the prime rib, or anything else for that matter, at the Golden Gate downtown. Cheap and, if you sit at the counter, quick. Should you find yourself stranded at Mystic Lake in Minnesota however, avoid the prime rib at Ribbons which when we ordered it was cooked simply to death, no better than stew meat really. Besides which if they catch you with booze on that rez they will throw you out on your ear. Not that it's ever happened to me you understand.