todays contest 3-10-12

Discuss the latest contests, contest strategies, and scores!
edog743
Video Poker Master

Re: todays contest 3-10-12

Post by edog743 »

A perfect play program would make the right plays for you. As I said before that I believe that is cheating. I am not willing to sell my soul to the devil so to speak. I  play TDB if that is not an option DDB.

New2vp
Video Poker Master

Post by New2vp »

edog, I doubt if a perfect play machine exists for these contests.  Most perfect play strategies are geared at maximizing the expected value/return on a hand-by-hand basis.  For the contests, you want to maximize the expected probability of winning the contest.  In general, that means that you will take more chances at the jackpot and sacrifice the better expected value "perfect plays."  Perfect contest play would have to take into consideration, the score or likely score of the top participant and exactly where you were in terms of accumulated score and hands yet to play; strategy would change as you play, as the top score changes, and even as the ending time for the contest approaches.  It would be different on every style of game.  I've envisioned it and can approximately execute such strategy on some of the simpler games, but not on most of them.Even so, such play gives you just a small bump in probability of winning, maybe from 1 in 5000 to 1.1 in 5000.  You still need lightning to strike with those "perfect" dealt hands to have any reasonable chance.  I know you were in the TOC last year; that was quite an accomplishment, whether from winning the contest or just being randomly chosen.  I probably don't play as often as you (maybe 1 or 2 daily contests in 10), so my chances are still worse than yours and anybody who plays more often, no matter how you/they play, even if I could pull off perfect contest play.