Signing Score Cards (GOLF)

Talk about your new shoes, new car, or UFO's!
MikeA
Video Poker Master

Signing Score Cards (GOLF)

Post by MikeA »

Any of you who follow golf will have probably already heard about Sergio Garcia being disqualified from finishing his 4th round at the PGA Tournament in Tulsa today.A shame.  I think he was playing with Boo Weekley, a dude from the Deep South who had rather be hunting and fishing than playing golf.  Boo wrote down a "4" instead of the correct score of "5" on a hole somewhere in the middle of the back nine (each player keeps his opponents score.)  Sergio had a train-wreck on the 18 hole and was so agitated by his performance that when they went into the scoring tent to check and sign their cards, Sergio missed the error on his card and signed it.  He was NOT in contention for the win.I wonder why they place so much importance on that signing of the card or why they even use score cards in Professional Tournaments?  They have a Rules Official following each pairing throughout the tournament.  If they place so much emphasis on the score card, maybe they should have the Official recording the scores.It must be tradition or something totally antiquated.

shadowman
Video Poker Master

Post by shadowman »

I agree that it is ridiculous. Some traditions should be discontinued when they no longer are necessary and they provide no benefit. I'm sure a few fans will be disappointed today when they can't follow their favorite golfer. Those folks are the only ones hurt by this. It sure won't have much impact on Sergio's bank account.

Webman
Video Poker Master

Post by Webman »

Was the total on his card incorrect as well or only the hole?

faygo
Video Poker Master

Post by faygo »

Was the total on his card incorrect as well or only the hole?

Golf is scored by hole score. At his level , a mistake such as this should never be made. can you say Roberto Di Venzenzo??  When I was playing golf a lot, I recount every round during the summer, by hole and what club I hit. I could also picture in mind each shot, what the weather was like, wind condition, etc..  and I was shooting a lot higher numbers than the simple 2s,3s,4s,& 5s, that the pros are shooting.

Now if I could only start remembering those 1/2 cent VP plays.

MikeA
Video Poker Master

Post by MikeA »

I am not sure about the total Webman.  I would assume that if Boo recorded a hole incorrectly for Sergio, then Sergio's total would have been wrong too.  But keep in mine, the score leader boards (on which Sergio was DEFINITELY not on) and the Television scores and I'm sure the Internet Score reporting, were most likely correct.  Faygo, keep in mind, these Professionals were playing in 100^+ temperatures with heat indexes up around 110^.  Sergio is a Spaniard with emotions overflowing.  He'd just 3 or 4-putted the 18 green before heading for the Tent to verify his card and probably could think of little other than train-wrecking on the last hole.  His score at the time was up close to double digits on the POSITIVE side so he wasn't in contention for any of the "real" money, so I agree completely that it will not have an impact on his bank account.  But Golf is a game deeply ingrained with "tradition" and they are not likely to change this archaic rule. 

shadowman
Video Poker Master

Post by shadowman »

No, they are not likely to change. They do need a way for the player to "agree" with what ever score becomes offical. Otherwise new problems would be created. Right now that is by signing the scorecard. They could just as easily have a laptop available for the players to come in and "accept" the official score. With this approach no one would ever be disqualified and if there was a discrepancy it could be corrected immediately.

MikeA
Video Poker Master

Post by MikeA »

One of the Golf Channel commentators suggested a 2-stroke penalty for signing an incorrect score card.  That would be better than disqualification, but still something I think is probably too steep a penalty.  I can understand how a Professional can go back and review his history in his head and compare that to the card kept by the other player.I could never do that.  I mean, Driver off the tee (20 yds).  Three wood duffed off into the woods.  4-iron chip to the fairway off two trees and in a gopher hole for a lost ball.  Drop into the fairway rough.  Lets see, start all over because I just lost track of how many strokes that was!

Webman
Video Poker Master

Post by Webman »

Golf is a game where they like consistency on all levels of play, not exceptions when you are on TV.  It's everyone's game as much as the pros. It's a matter of tradition.

There's no way the rule will change... this only strengthens that rule.  When you teach your kids to play golf you can teach them the rule about score cards.  When they act shocked and say "Golly, has that ever happened?!" you can smile and say "Well, there was this guy named Sergio..."

Ah, tradition.

MikeA
Video Poker Master

Post by MikeA »

No doubt you are correct about the "traditions" and yes, I taught my son about checking cards at the end of the round too.  No joke, GOLF as most of you probably, actually does stand for "Gentlemen Only, Ladies Forbidden".  That is an actual FACT stemming from Scotland where the game was invented.And it wasn't that long ago that African Americans were forbidden to play at Augusta where the Master's Tournament is held every year.There are very good attributes also in Golf.  Particularly that of personal integrity that teaches a lesson in a way that no other method accomplishes nearly as effectively.