Too late to make the move?

Discuss all things Las Vegas. Hotels, restaurants, good deals, airfares, cabbies, conventions, shows, etc.
Francois
Forum Rookie

Re: Too late to make the move?

Post by Francois »

Never too late to start again, but be sure you consider what you are leaving. New adventures await, but long time friends are hard to replace. Weight those options then embrace whichever path you take.

marie meijer
Video Poker Master

Post by marie meijer »

I surmise from your occupation that you have no problem talking to strangers. Even so, from others, I have learned one needs to make the effort to meet people. It is not human nature for most to greet new comers in the community. So think about volunteering in the community, perhaps for a charity, clean up project in neighborhood, park, river, an adult education course, alumni group, community theater or new comers club. One "non stop talker" moved back to our area after five years in a desirable vacation area because she felt the people there were unfriendly. Her husband happily played golf every day while she read and read.

Tony Felder
Forum Regular

Post by Tony Felder »

Brief update.....I have found 6-7 55+ apartment communities that look interesting and plan on visiting in the next couple of months. Will also meet with some real estate brokers out there to get the feel of the market. Excited to be able to have the chance to give this a try. One step at a time!!

Tedlark
Video Poker Master

Post by Tedlark »

Tony - Best of luck to you no matter what decision you make. New environments bring new opportunities; friends; and, paths.

Ted

DaBurglar
Video Poker Master

Post by DaBurglar »

I surmise from your occupation that you have no problem talking to strangers. Even so, from others, I have learned one needs to make the effort to meet people. It is not human nature for most to greet new comers in the community. So think about volunteering in the community, perhaps for a charity, clean up project in neighborhood, park, river, an adult education course, alumni group, community theater or new comers club. One "non stop talker" moved back to our area after five years in a desirable vacation area because she felt the people there were unfriendly. Her husband happily played golf every day while she read and read.this is actually great advice....listen to this woman, she knows what she is talking about.If you went to college, local Alumni club(s) are really great.....and if you have AAA they have resources that people typically use when travelling / vacationing, but they are just as valid for newly transplanted folks to use because many issues are the same.But do not complicate or overthink this....remember, this is Vegas, and it is at once welcoming and overwhelming.   As you said yourself, "one step at a time"......just get there, settle in to a "base" of operations (i.e. a place with a bed, bathroom and kitchen) and then branch out from there, divide and conquer, befriend all your neighbors and everyone else that you can that looks non-threatening.   Also, check in with the local law enforcement office and find out what places to avoid so you never find yourself suddenly in the bad part of town with the sun going down and you left your garlic, crucifixes and holy water at home.   Vegas is full of bloodsuckers

ferrisD
Forum Newbie

Post by ferrisD »

in how far does your age matter? what are you concerns:)