Test Your Skill Should Explain Correct Hands

Discuss proper hold strategies and "advantage play" and ask questions about how to improve your play.
UncleBubba
Forum Newbie

Test Your Skill Should Explain Correct Hands

Post by UncleBubba »

I enjoy using the Test Your Skills area, however, just displaying the "Correct" hand is confusing at times.  It would really help if there was additional information provided that thoroughly explains WHY the correct hand is correct.

Webman
Video Poker Master

Post by Webman »

Test Your Skills is just a quick mini-test. For more comprehensive training, you'll want to pick up something like Video Poker for Winners.

UncleBubba
Forum Newbie

Post by UncleBubba »

Thanks Webman!  I understand that it is just a quick test, but if you really want people to understand why one hand is preferred to another, supplying the logic behind the results of each "correct hand" would help people learn faster and be able to perform better on the tests.

BobDancer
Video Poker Master

Post by BobDancer »

Test Your Skills is just a quick mini-test. For more comprehensive training, you'll want to pick up something like Video Poker for Winners.

While VPW does provide detailed information on how many combinations become high pairs, two pair, trips, etc., for any draw, it doesn't provide the information "in English." You need to decipher those numbers for yourself.The best description for individual games in found in the Winner's Guide series, but Liam W. Daily and myself. Although the series only consists of six games (Jacks or Better, Double Bonus, Double Double Bonus, Full Pay Deuces Wild, NSU Deuces Wild, and Pick'Em Poker), studying any of them will give you great insight into "why" things are the way they are.They also teach you in stages. If you're a beginner, you don't want to be reading about flush and straight penalties. By the time you get ready to look into things like that, you're at least an intermediate player.

EDC1977
Video Poker Master

Post by EDC1977 »

What about the trainers on Wolf VP or WizardofOdds?