when to hold the 10

Discuss proper hold strategies and "advantage play" and ask questions about how to improve your play.
indian99
Forum Newbie

when to hold the 10

Post by indian99 »

This is a problem for me. I've always held the 10 with whatever suite toward the royal. The tutortials are not clear to me. Sometimes you hold it and sometimes you don't.

Is there a clear answer?

oej719
Video Poker Master

Post by oej719 »

Don't beat yourself up on that. Some PROS say it depends on what game you are playing and on the paytables for those games.
Others say hold the 10 with all BUT the ace. You can find just about any strategy you want and they all claim that is the only way to play it and come out ahead. So who is correct?  The one that makes YOU the most money. That is what it is all about. MONEY. Trump size $$$$.

Eduardo
Video Poker Master

Post by Eduardo »

Only hold if there are 2 others for the royal maybe?

indian99
Forum Newbie

Post by indian99 »

I would hold the 10 if it were 3 to the royal.

But I don't know when to hold the 10 with only with the bare K,Q,J.

The tutorials hold the 10 with KC, QC, JC, sometimes and sometimes
it doesn't. I don't get it.

oej719
Video Poker Master

Post by oej719 »

The book I just read says when playing 9/6 ddb------- for high cards.
1. Hold two high cards to the royal
2. Hold four to straight with two or more high cards
3. hold ace instead of two unsuited high cards
4. hold ace instead of 3 unsuited high cards, unless Ace- Queen -Jack, then  hold only Queen and Jack
5.Hold suited King and Ten, Queen and Ten, or Jack and Ten instead of one high card.

Maybe change tutorials.

knagl
Forum Regular

Post by knagl »

The tutorials hold the 10 with KC, QC, JC, sometimes and sometimes it doesn't. I don't get it.

It depends on the game you are playing and the paytable for the game you're playing, but in general for Jacks or Better, you want to hold the suited 10 with a J, Q, or K (but not Ace) if, IF, those are your only two "high cards".  That is, if you have 10c, Kc, 6d, 8s, 7s, you hold the suited 10 and King.  BUT, if you have 10c, Kc, 6d, 8s, Js, you hold the unsuited King and Jack.

I have found the "Calculations" tool at http://gamblingtools.net/vp/vptrainer.html to be a great tool to show you the expected value of each hold depending on the cards dealt.

indian99
Forum Newbie

Post by indian99 »

I mostly play ddb.

The tutortial that I was using is on this website vidoepoker.com were it says test your skills. It was confusing.

Thanks for the input and the website. I'm going to try it.

Good luck out there.

shadowman
Video Poker Master

Post by shadowman »

I would hold the 10 if it were 3 to the royal.

But I don't know when to hold the 10 with only with the bare K,Q,J.

The tutorials hold the 10 with KC, QC, JC, sometimes and sometimes
it doesn't. I don't get it.

If you have any of the top software programs (eg. winpoker,fvp) they will break out ALL the possible results for each hold so you can see EXACTLY why one result is picked over another. In general, if you have two face cards it is better to keep them than it is to keep one with a ten. However, this is not always true, especially if you are playing progressives.