RNG speed?

Discuss proper hold strategies and "advantage play" and ask questions about how to improve your play.
Mr.Dawes

RNG speed?

Post by Mr.Dawes »

Just wondering if anyone here knows approximately how fast the RNG shuffles the cards. I don't know much about computers, but I would assume a modern CPU should be able to shuffle cards very fast.Also, is it  correct that modern VP machines continue shuffling the remaining 47 cards after the deal until the player hits the draw button?The reason I ask is that I misplayed a hand this weekend and I am looking for a way soften the blow of my mistake. I was playing 9/5 DDB at the IP in Biloxi and I was dealt 5,6,8 of spades and a king of another suit and a fifth unsuited card that I don't remember( I think it was a red 3). The correct play for this hand is the suited 5,6,8. I was playing too quickly and held the king. As I hit the draw button I realized my mistake and the first two cards out were the 7 and 9 of spades. Ugh! I threw away a straight flush.Later I rationalized to myself that the extra time needed to hold the two additional cards would have allowed the RNG to shuffle the cards more and I would have drawn different cards. Any thoughts on this would be appreciated.

FloridaPhil
Video Poker Master

Post by FloridaPhil »

There is no way to know the RNG speed without having the exact chip specification of the machine you were playing.  I am sure it's much faster than any human can react to.  I do believe there was a time when video poker machines dealt all the cards at once and fed you the remaining cards on the draw.  I was recently corrected.   I now believe the remaining cards are shuffled until you hit the deal button the second time.  I don't think there is any way to "game" the chip.  If there was I'm sure some professional would have figured that out by now and the game folks would have plugged that hole long ago.

EDC1977
Video Poker Master

Post by EDC1977 »

Randomly shuffles millions of times per second. You can read a little about this chip:
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Random_number_generation

Vman96
Video Poker Master

Post by Vman96 »

Everything I read, yes, things are continuously shuffled. So any mishold changes the time you would hit the draw button, so you can't assume you would hit the straight flush if you would have held it correctly from the start.

Mr.Dawes

Post by Mr.Dawes »

Hey Phil, EDC, and Vman thanks for the info. Confirms what I suspected. I am actually glad that this is the case. When I was new to video poker I would see someone hit a jackpot on another machine and regret that I had chosen the wrong machine. But actually, I would have needed to chose that machine and hit the buttons at the exact same instant, extremely unlikely.

Vman96
Video Poker Master

Post by Vman96 »

Hey Phil, EDC, and Vman thanks for the info. Confirms what I suspected. I am actually glad that this is the case. When I was new to video poker I would see someone hit a jackpot on another machine and regret that I had chosen the wrong machine. But actually, I would have needed to chose that machine and hit the buttons at the exact same instant, extremely unlikely.

Yeah, it really is easier on your emotions if you think outcomes would be different if you were on the machine instead. And that's what a continuously cycling RNG would almost always do. Didn't stop my g/f from moving away from a machine where someone left 4 Aces behind about one year ago, so I take that machine instead. I lose, but she hits her first royal on her new machine for $200. I've told her I don't think the machine's history matters, but I let her think what she wants.     

FloridaPhil
Video Poker Master

Post by FloridaPhil »

[quote=Vman96] I've told her I don't think the machine's history matters, but I let her think what she wants.[/quote]Math tells you that every hand is independent from all previous hands.  However, I have personally witnessed a "hot" machine many many times over the years, so your girl friend may be on to something.  Just yesterday I was sitting next to a couple who were playing DDB when they hit 4 10s.  They got up and left for breakfast with their winnings.  I immediately went to their machine and hit quad 4s with a kicker for a nice profit.  I hit two more quads before the machine cooled back down.  This happens over and over gain.  Coincidence?  For sure.  Was I pleased with the results and would I do it again?  You bet!!