elusive royal

Discuss proper hold strategies and "advantage play" and ask questions about how to improve your play.
shadowman
Video Poker Master

Re: elusive royal

Post by shadowman »

the deck stops shuffling when u press deal no change in order of deck until next game

First, the only company to discuss the way their machines operate has been IGT. So, if you are playing a machine by Ballys or anyone else I don't think anyone knows how the machines operate.

For IGT, the first machines operated in what is called "parallel" mode. The cards were, in fact, dealt 10 at a time with the second five placed behind the first five. You would get a different draw if you discarded different cards. This changed in the late '80s to the sequential method where 10 cards were still selected, the first five cards were shown and the draw cards were the next five cards held until to choose your discards. The draw cards were the same no matter what was discarded. Finally, with the IGT Game King platform (machines where you can use the touch screen method) only five cards are selected when deal/max bet is pressed and the RNG continues to run while you select cards to hold. Only when draw is pressed are the replacement cards selected. I don't believe you'll find many of the original machines around but older machines that deal 10 in the sequential mode are still found in many places. In all cases the method does not effect the payback of the machines.

I found this information in "The Video Poker Edge" by Linda Boyd. She interviewed IGT to get this information.

Hillbilly
Forum Newbie

Post by Hillbilly »

What strategy charts are you talking about? Where can I get them??

oej719
Video Poker Master

Post by oej719 »

What strategy charts are you talking about? Where can I get them??

Hillbilly,
Hi we just may be cousin-in -laws or something. My family tree goes straight up.
Linda Boyd's book has a set of small tear out strategy sheets in the back of her book. Its called "The Video Poker Edge."

BOOPSAHOY
Video Poker Master

Post by BOOPSAHOY »

What about with double down stud? Is the 5th card already decided before you push deal or double down or does the RNG keep shuffling untill then?

MikeA
Video Poker Master

Post by MikeA »

On the subject of strategy charts, try the three-day free trial offer by Bob Dancer on the new Video Poker For Winners program. 

http://www.videopokerforwinners.com/

This is prime stuff folks!  You have the option to print off the strategy charts for any game his software supports and it supports a TON of Video Poker games!  About the only ones I didn't see were the "Pick 'Em" games.

BTW I had a miserable run of variance (okay, call it luck!) this past weekend at AmeriStar.  First off, I shouldn't have even been playing VP there on the cheap machines.  DB was 8/5 (full pay is 10/7).  JOB was 6/5 (full pay is 9/6).  I was beginning to question just how "random" those machines were   Without those supporting wins from flushes and full boats, it's hard to come out ahead by depending on quads and royals.  I think that after 14 hours of VP (mostly DB) I was down $100 and that was on nickel machines playing 5 credits!

Won it back plus enough to buy gas to drive home on the Blackjack tables so it worked out okay.

rascal
VP Veteran

Post by rascal »

I know the feeling, MikeA. I had my own down-up weekend. Down $5500 on $5 DDB machines and well past my stop-loss point but determined to make it up, against all of my own rules and discipline. I was just about in total despair when I held two Aces and up popped AAAA2 for $10K. That turned the tide because not 30 minutes later I pulled 2222A for another $4K, and then two smaller non-taxable wins pushed the total walk-out profit to $7300, when it could just as easily have been a horrible loss. "Scared money never won a dime."

shadowman
Video Poker Master

Post by shadowman »

What about with double down stud? Is the 5th card already decided before you push deal or double down or does the RNG keep shuffling untill then?

I don't know for sure but IGT appears to have taken the approach to run the RNG whenever another key must be pressed. For example, they used to stop the RNG after bet 1 coin was pressed and it did not matter whether you bet 1 or 5. From what I gather the RNG now runs until either the fifth pressing of bet 1 coin or whenever deal is pressed.

Given this info I would assume the RNG is running until you push double down.

BOOPSAHOY
Video Poker Master

Post by BOOPSAHOY »

Thanks Shadowman