Deuces Wild Question

Discuss proper hold strategies and "advantage play" and ask questions about how to improve your play.
smokespray
Forum Newbie

Deuces Wild Question

Post by smokespray »

Greetings, All. I was playing around with the Test Your Skills section and could complete ten correctly in the Deuces Wild game. When I got a deuce with 2 to the Royal I could never get it right. If I kept just the deuce it told me that I should have held all three. If I held all three it told me I should have held only the deuce. Then I drew a hand with two almost identical versions of this together. (See attached screen shot.)
I played the gut shot with just the deuce, and the connected two as all three and was wrong on both counts. As connected cards are a stronger straight play than gapped cards, I don't see how this makes sense.

I would love for someone to enlighten me as to what They're thinking. I would also love to know the proper play for this situation.
In case the photo doesn't display, Hand 1 was:
10d Qh 4h Kh 2h. I kept Qh Kh 2h and was shown the correct hold was 2h only.
Hand 2 was:
2h Jh 10d 4h Kh. I kept only the deuce and was shot the correct hold was 2h Jh Kh.

Thanks

Smokepspray

DAAnMAAn
VP Veteran

Post by DAAnMAAn »

Sounds like penalty card situations. There are many different deuces wild pay tables out there and I don't know which one your referring to. Since right now I'm playing the "ugly" deuces version, a popular table of deuces,(98.9%ER), I'll just go by that.
The first hand, 10d Qh Kh 2h 4h, I also would hold the 2h Qh Kh. I ran it in my win poker software app and lo and behold, it is the best hold with just holding the deuce the second best hold. So confused on that one.
The second hand:
2h Jh Kh 4h 10d, I would hold the 2h Jh Kh too. Well, surprise (not)...my software told me that my hold would be the correct hold once again with second best being the lone 2h again.
So, confused again.
So, all I can think of is that your playing a different version of deuces wild or software glitch or something.
Cheers

FloridaPhil
Video Poker Master

Post by FloridaPhil »

DAAnMAAn is correct.  This hand play varies with the pay schedule.  The best deuces game we have available in Florida is 98.9%.  In this game you would keep the deuce and the two cards to a royal.  My wife knows perfect strategy, but she "incorrectly" keeps all non deuce two card royal hands and she gets more royals and wild royals than I do.  When playing quarters this strategy modification costs her 4-6 cents per hand.  She is fully aware of the cost and to her it's worth the price to see more jackpots.  She has hit three $1,000 royals using this strategy putting her years ahead of this "error".Learning perfect strategy is the way to go.  Playing this way will give you the best chance of earning the games expected return (ER).  However the formulas used to produce perfect strategy are calculated over very long periods of time, so your results may vary in the short term.  Some people risk big money playing video poker, so for them any error is costly.   Others make a conscience decision to vary from perfect strategy to meet their own personal goals.  In my opinion the important thing to comprehend  is "why" the strategy tells you to play a certain way rather than just memorizing hands.  If you buy a copy of Bob Dancer's Video Poker for Winners, the software will give you the actual cost of each error.  It's a must have if you want to be an informed player.

onemoretry
Video Poker Master

Post by onemoretry »

This same hand was discussed under the heading "Tested Skills Page Question". And, FWIW, I just looked at my Oct 29 post on the subject and changed it, since I had stated my conclusion wrongly.

IUFanChad
Forum Newbie

Post by IUFanChad »

Interesting!

garylee79
Forum Newbie

Post by garylee79 »

hello,how is everyone doing tonught?