QQ 9/6 Jacks or better

Discuss proper hold strategies and "advantage play" and ask questions about how to improve your play.
tlongo
Forum Newbie

QQ 9/6 Jacks or better

Post by tlongo »

Playing Quick Quads 9/6 jacks or better in training mode and getting 22A on the deal the correct play sometime is 22 and sometime is 22A. I don't understand why there is a difference in strategy.

Onenickelmiracl

Post by Onenickelmiracl »

Beats me. I would always hold the ace and think nothing of it. Must be part of the insignificant error rate I give up playing a strategy from wizard of odds.

New2vp
Video Poker Master

Post by New2vp »

If you want the satisfaction of always making the correct play, hold 22A only when one of the other two cards is a 4. Otherwise, hold 22.

If you don't want to remember that extra rule, always hold 22A. With a 4 discard, you have a 75% lower chance of drawing 444 to the 22, so the 4 discard lowers the value of holding 22 enough that the expected value of 22A is larger than the EV of 22.

Even if you can't remember that and you always mistakenly hold 22, you will only lose about 0.06 cents per play, playing max coin quarters. You will get this choice about once per 123 hands, so almost 5 times an hour @ 600 hands per.

Certainly, the loss of 0.30 cents per hour won't be much of a game changer. The opportunity cost of reading this post might be more than that ... unless you enjoy learning or understanding new things.

alpax
Video Poker Master

Post by alpax »

If you want the satisfaction of always making the correct play, hold 22A only when one of the other two cards is a 4. Otherwise, hold 22.

If you don't want to remember that extra rule, always hold 22A. With a 4 discard, you have a 75% lower chance of drawing 444 to the 22, so the 4 discard lowers the value of holding 22 enough that the expected value of 22A is larger than the EV of 22.

Even if you can't remember that and you always mistakenly hold 22, you will only lose about 0.06 cents per play, playing max coin quarters. You will get this choice about once per 123 hands, so almost 5 times an hour @ 600 hands per.

Certainly, the loss of 0.30 cents per hour won't be much of a game changer. The opportunity cost of reading this post might be more than that ... unless you enjoy learning or understanding new things.

I do not play any form of Quick Quads but I really like your complete and detailed response.

New2vp
Video Poker Master

Post by New2vp »

Thanks, for a few, these obscure decisions are part of the attraction to and fun of this type of gambling. But as a regular forum member, you know others like simplicity, while still others like nonconformity and revel in championing the right to make the "wrong" play.

I've enjoyed the wrinkles in Quick Quads strategy since it first was discussed at this Web site. Shadowman was among the pioneers of solving its strategies and celebrating its nuances. You can find some long discussions in the annals of fora past.

tlongo
Forum Newbie

Post by tlongo »

Thanks alot New2vp. Couldn't imagine the " 4 " penalty card trick.

FloridaPhil
Video Poker Master

Post by FloridaPhil »

[quote=New2VP] But as a regular forum member, you
know others like simplicity, while still others like nonconformity and
revel in championing the right to make the "wrong" play.[/quote]Fair statement.  Discussing the mathematically correct answer is entertaining and I enjoy it as much as anyone.  If all players had the same goal there would only be one "right" play.  However, not everyone plays VP for the same reason, so the "right" or "wrong" play depends upon what they are trying to accomplish.Video poker is a flexible game.  You can play it for nickels to $100 bills or even for free on this website.  You can play it  for a living or strictly as entertainment.  If you want to make money at the game, playing by the math is essential.  If you want to play longer with the same money or hit more jackpots than perfect strategy allows, your play changes.  I don't "revel in being a champion of nonconformity",  but I think it's important to acknowledge these facts.I do think it's fair to assume most forum members are asking for mathematically correct answers, which you did a great job of providing.

Vman96
Video Poker Master

Post by Vman96 »

Good to see you again New2Vp! Hope you stop by more often!