JoB pay table vs DDB

Discuss video poker programs for the home user
elmoo168
Forum Newbie

JoB pay table vs DDB

Post by elmoo168 »

Hi,

I was watching Bob Dancer's videos for his Video Poker for Winners program, and he mentioned that Double Double Bonus payout has really low lows and really high highs, vs Jacks or better which is not as variant.  I looked at the pay tables and the only thing I see (besides DDB's 4 of a kind payouts) is that 2 pair in DDB is 1 instead of 2 credits in Jacks or Better.  Is that enough to make DDB's payouts that much more extreme?  triple Double Bonus Poker pays out 2 for three of a kind vs DDB's 3, and I do notice that in Triple Double Bonus I can lose my bankroll pretty fast.

One thing I hate about DDB is that once in a while if I play $25/hand, all four of a kinds generate a W-2G.  It looks like JoB (and Deuces Wild) is a little more W-2G friendly, 4 of a kind pays $625 (at $25/hand).

Thanks for any input!  It's not easy trying to figure out which variation to play.

shadowman
Video Poker Master

Post by shadowman »

Yes, two pair is the big difference. In 9/6 JoB it provides almost 26% of the 99.54% total return. In 9/6 DDB it is half that. So, around 13% of the 98.98% return now occurs in hands that occur much less frequently. The mathematical term for this situation is variance. As you indicated TDB is even worse by moving part of the 3oak payout into less frequent hands.

If you purchase any of the VP tutuors, like VPfW, they will break down these percentages for any paytable. Of course, they also provide the basics on strategy that allow one to reach the theorhetical payouts I mentioned above.

elmoo168
Forum Newbie

Post by elmoo168 »

Great, thanks, it sounds like when I want to bet bigger, JoB will help cushion my bankroll.  When I want to play small, DDB will give the rush of the 4 of a kinds.

Thanks!!!