Former Illinois 8th District Rep has to be....

Talk about your new shoes, new car, or UFO's!
billryan
Video Poker Master

Re: Former Illinois 8th District Rep has to be....

Post by billryan »

It's pretty much the dividing line between The Bronx and Westchester.

DaBurglar
Video Poker Master

Post by DaBurglar »

[QUOTE=Tedlark]   DaBurglar The Point is not located in upstate New York.

For the residents of NYC and Long Island,anything above McClean Avenue is upstate.
I did not attend West Point. I applied but did not make the cut.[/QUOTE]Anyone who resides in this area of the country (i.e.  The Northeast, or New England etc.) is well familiar with what generally qualifies or refers to as "Upstate New York", and The US military academy is definitely in the neighborhood...... since Ted does not live here, he does not know what he is talking about.   Of course that is not his concern.....lobbing turds in my direction is.....

Tedlark
Video Poker Master

Post by Tedlark »

Spin, spin, spin DaBurglar. Seeing as I HAVE BEEN THERE, I absolutely KNOW that it is well into the bottom third of the state. Any REASONABLE person would agree that it is NOT in Upstate New York. Using your logic, anyone living in Kankakee, IL lives in downstate Illinois?

If you want to stick to US military installations I would consider Fort Drum to be in upstate New York. By the way: I've been to Fort Drum too.

DaBurglar
Video Poker Master

Post by DaBurglar »

Spin, spin, spin DaBurglar. Seeing as I HAVE BEEN THERE, I absolutely KNOW that it is well into the bottom third of the state. Any REASONABLE person would agree that it is NOT in Upstate New York. Using your logic, anyone living in Kankakee, IL lives in downstate Illinois?

If you want to stick to US military installations I would consider Fort Drum to be in upstate New York. By the way: I've been to Fort Drum too.Would someone else just put this petulant child in his place?    He is so self absorbed, and so ignorant, he is unable to know when he is wrong and when he has been corrected for being wrong.West Point is considered "upstate"....That's not "Spin", that's not conjecture, that's FACT.....You do not know what you are talking about.    Find a way to accept that because you are making an even bigger arse of yourself than usual....AND FOR WHAT?!?!?And why do you feel the need to boast about being to fort drum too?   Your narcissism is showing again.....no one cares.  

Tedlark
Video Poker Master

Post by Tedlark »

So when you: regard as or deem to be; think, be, or suppose; this somehow moves West Point up the map of New York State?

You can deem it to be or consider it to be all you want but it still doesn't change the fact that West Point is closer to Philadelphia than to northern New York State.

Let me see: Houston is part of Dallas Metro? Learn how to read You should think about taking a few classes in cartography.   

billryan
Video Poker Master

Post by billryan »

When 75 percent of the population of the state live south of a point, it is upstate to them.
A ten second Google search or Wikipedia would have saved you from looking foolish but what the heck, why start now.

You are welcome to think whatever you want, your opinions are meaningless to me.
My next class starts June 2nd, and is beginners motorcycle riding. I'll check out cartography. Did a lot of orienteering back when that was a sport.

billryan
Video Poker Master

Post by billryan »

From Wikipedia

There is no clear official boundary between Upstate New York and Downstate New York. The broadest usage of the term Upstate New York excludes only New York City and Long Island, which are always considered to be part of Downstate New York. Another usage locates the Upstate/Downstate boundary further north, at the point where New York City's suburbs segue into its exurbs, as the exurbs do not fall within the US Census' urban area. This boundary places most, but not all, of Westchester and Rockland Counties in Downstate, while putting the northwestern edge of Rockland County as well as the northernmost quarter of Westchester County (including Peekskill) in Upstate; area residents often use Interstate 84 to delineate the boundary between upstate and downstate New York..[7][not in citation given (See discussion.)] Yet another definition uses the prior Census definition of the New York metropolitan area, which until 2010 included Westchester, Rockland, and Putnam Counties. This was the definition used by the plaintiffs in the federal redistricting case of Rodriguez v. Pataki.[8]

DaBurglar
Video Poker Master

Post by DaBurglar »

It is a well known FACT, that when people or a population continue to use a term or value as the definition or equivalence of something, then that becomes the standard (or truth) by means of  CONVENTION.....on this basis alone, West Point is "upstate" and Ted is a stubborn <insert preferred term, but don't you dare call him a .......*gasp*...."name">.But convention aside, as I pointed out earlier, for all people living in New England, the northeast in general and especially the state of New York, "Upstate New York" begins as soon as you are out of the NYC area.....for someone who does not live here to try and force those of us who do to change what we know and think is , well, very pointless.....not to mention it had nothing to do with the point, theme or purpose of the posts in this thread, it was just another ham handed attempt to criticize ME (da burglar)......what an empty life such a person must lead to feel the NEED to do this over and over and over and over and over.........and over.Over  (word)

paco13
VP Veteran

Post by paco13 »

I live in Upstate NY. But there are areas further upstate than mine.

DaBurglar
Video Poker Master

Post by DaBurglar »

I live in Upstate NY. But there are areas further upstate than mine. Well, there is upstate Paco, and then there is  UPSTATE.......and then of course there is UP  STATE......now feel free to tell a certain poster "Up yours"