This is why its called gambling.

The lighter side... playing for entertainment, less concerned about "the math."
billryan
Video Poker Master

This is why its called gambling.

Post by billryan »

I'm playing at one of my local favorites when the cocktail girl tells me I should check out a nearby Ultimate X machine. I do and there are a number of multiples on the machine, mostly 7X but a few 5X.

Problem is its a $1 ten play so it's $50 a spin. I think about it for a minute and go for it.
Get Butkus. Jack high, and nothing else. I hold the Jack and get......
nothing. $50 lost on a single spin. Not even credit for the money in as I don't use a card when vulturing.
I've crapped out on many a five cent and even twenty five cent game but losing $50 on a single spin hurts.

FloridaPhil
Video Poker Master

Post by FloridaPhil »

You lost money playing a positive VP game? As they say in Miami, "¿Como es posible?" Just kidding. :lol:

FAA
Video Poker Master

Post by FAA »

Ouch. 30 minutes of losing for me. A buck or two a spin and the hell with hitting big.

pokerpokerpoker
VP Veteran

Post by pokerpokerpoker »

I am probably down overall vulturing (though I don't actively looking for opportunities), but I would have played off that screen without a second thought.

I always glance at any high-limit ULTX that I walk past, but don't find much. A lone 2X on nickel ten-play is pretty common though.

billryan
Video Poker Master

Post by billryan »

I don't vulture but am known to tip for useful information.

olds442jetaway
Video Poker Master

Post by olds442jetaway »

I tried altering once or twice Siri you are supposed to say vulture in forget it I never did any good at it anyway but if I saw one with a big multiplier I would go for it

olds442jetaway
Video Poker Master

Post by olds442jetaway »

Not to discourage the want to be volunteers out there I actually saw a guy who was faltering next to me I was playing double down stud and he was faltering on the ultimate ask anyway someone had left a 12 X multiplier and he caught the Royal on one of the three lines for 48,000 Nichols not a bad day at work

olds442jetaway
Video Poker Master

Post by olds442jetaway »

Vultering you idiot siri

OTABILL
Video Poker Master

Post by OTABILL »

billryan wrote:
Wed Dec 19, 2018 10:52 am
I'm playing at one of my local favorites when the cocktail girl tells me I should check out a nearby Ultimate X machine. I do and there are a number of multiples on the machine, mostly 7X but a few 5X.

Problem is its a $1 ten play so it's $50 a spin. I think about it for a minute and go for it.
nothing. $50 lost on a single spin. Not even credit for the money in as I don't use a card when vulturing.
I've crapped out on many a five cent and even twenty five cent game but losing $50 on a single spin hurts.
Computers, Siri etc. providing correct spelling. Sometimes it really provides a good laugh. Sorry for your loss Billy, better luck next time. But got a good laugh out of "Butkis" Great all time football player but coming from Long Island I'm sure you meant bupkis. Have a great holiday.

Vman96
Video Poker Master

Post by Vman96 »

pokerpokerpoker wrote:
Wed Dec 19, 2018 5:43 pm
I am probably down overall vulturing (though I don't actively looking for opportunities), but I would have played off that screen without a second thought.

I always glance at any high-limit ULTX that I walk past, but don't find much. A lone 2X on nickel ten-play is pretty common though.
Ugh. That's a bad run of quads probably. I started off that way when I vultured, ran bad on quads and briefly questioned if doing it was worth it. 4 Aces on quarter DDB and a quarter 4X quad on Bonus Deluxe two months later changed my mind.
billryan wrote:
Wed Dec 19, 2018 10:52 am

7Xs and 5Xs??? The only game I expect to see those multipliers...I definitely wouldn't be holding a Jack!

And totally bricking on a ten play sucks. I think I've done it at dollars once or twice. Definitely lost $40 or $45 much more often.

I definitely was down on dollars until I had my luckiest night ever in Vegas last year.
20170906_043004.jpg