Super Dbl Dbl Bonus

Discuss proper hold strategies and "advantage play" and ask questions about how to improve your play.
Crazy4Deuces
Forum Newbie

Super Dbl Dbl Bonus

Post by Crazy4Deuces »

When playing this game, if you have two pair with a high pair such as Kings over a low pair, do you split up and try for 4 of a kind or play for the full house.
Thanks

New2vp
Video Poker Master

Post by New2vp »

The max EV plays for 8-5 and 7-5 versions call for holding both pair. If you are going to play 6-5, max EV after such a deal calls for holding only the high pair. If, with 6-5, both pair are jacks, queens, or kings, it doesn't matter which pair you hold.

With 7-5, it is a very close play between the pair and two pair holds, particularly if the second pair are from twos thru tens and the singleton card is also from 2s thru 10s. But two pair still has higher EV.

Come Back Kid
Video Poker Master

Post by Come Back Kid »

I was wondering if, in that same scenario, would you split the pair (high and low) in Ultimate X bonus streak? As you need 3 of a kind or better to trigger the multipliers. As opposed to the regular Ultimate X game, where 2 pairs triggers the multiplier.

New2vp
Video Poker Master

Post by New2vp »

There is a lot of "it depends" in any answer to this question. I haven't seen Super Double Double ever listed as an option for any Ultimate X variant.

In general, there is more incentive in both Ultimate X and in Ultimate X Bonus Streak to hold both pair than in the base games. This is due in large part to the very high future value after hitting a full house in both games relative to other outcomes. With Double Double Bonus, most base games have you holding a pair of aces when dealt two pair. With many Ultimate X variants of DDB, it is max EV (considering future hands in that calculation) to hold both pair when the total sum of multipliers is low to average even to medium high. Only when the multipliers on board for the current hand are relatively high do you hold just the pair of aces if trying to maximize EV over the next few hands. The exact cutoffs depend on the game and pay schedule.

Come Back Kid
Video Poker Master

Post by Come Back Kid »

You're right, there is no Super Double Double...I was thinking in general (TDB,DDB) But thanks for the information, I appreciate it.

Vman96
Video Poker Master

Post by Vman96 »

Come Back Kid wrote:
Fri Dec 21, 2018 6:27 am
I was wondering if, in that same scenario, would you split the pair (high and low) in Ultimate X bonus streak? As you need 3 of a kind or better to trigger the multipliers. As opposed to the regular Ultimate X game, where 2 pairs triggers the multiplier.
Definitely not. If you get the full house, you get the "big multiplier" on Bonus Streak. Higher multiples PLUS two more hands to turn multipliers to 12X.