2019 VP

The lighter side... playing for entertainment, less concerned about "the math."
New2vp
Video Poker Master

Re: 2019 VP

Post by New2vp »

Waiting4RF wrote:
Tue Jan 01, 2019 11:47 am
DAAnMAAn posted pictures June 19th and June 21st where twice he threw away all 5 cards and got quad deuces on the draw.

Also Jan 8, 2018 I told Phil :
" Just a thought on holding 2 card royals you are not supposed to hold according the strategy. When you do this, you are preventing getting 3 other royals and many quad dueces combinations. "

And the response was similar to this repetition we have a year later.

Happy New Year!!
Yes, Waiting4RF, excellent point. I'm guessing that I've made the point before as well. That might have been prior to when we were all informed that he was off deuces and the new secret for rec play was jacks or better or bonus poker.

With these posts of his, I'm afraid we're approaching or perhaps we've reached total comprehension saturation. Certainly there is virtually nothing new being added to the collective pool of knowledge by his posts and it appears all too likely that he's past the point of learning anything new from others as well.

I'm not expert on the current best practices in treating hypergraphia, but that might be the next frontier worth pursuing.

billryan
Video Poker Master

Post by billryan »

New2vp wrote:
Tue Jan 01, 2019 7:43 pm
billryan wrote:
Tue Jan 01, 2019 10:25 am
Note to self- Stay on this guys good side.
It's like watching a sword fight with one guy armed with a rapier and the other holding three feet of baloney. Godzilla vs Bambi pt. 3

"I think 21 is gonna be a good year".
Thanks, Bill, I appreciate your succincticity, even if that is not technically a real word!
Recreational forum is a fact free zone.

advantage playe
Video Poker Master

Post by advantage playe »

lol!! good one Bill !!!

FloridaPhil
Video Poker Master

Post by FloridaPhil »

billryan wrote:
Tue Jan 01, 2019 8:09 pm
Recreational forum is a fact free zone.
Recreational VP is not about facts, it's about how you choose to be entertained. I played Jacks or Better and Bonus Poker for a year. It was a good test and I made a little money. I wrote about my experience on this forum. I discovered I didn't enjoy it as much as playing Deuces Wild. I also found I have more discipline when I play Deuces. I wrote about that on this forum as well.

If you boil down all our posts, you will discover there is only one basic thing we disagree on. I do not believe in guaranteed to win video poker strategies. There are strategies that will make it more likely. These strategies are based on math. I believe anyone who wishes to play this game more effectively should learn these strategies. They should take classes, read books and buy CDs. They should also do their best to use them to their advantage.

I also believe players should seriously consider what they want from VP before they choose how to play. If it's profit at all cost, go with the experts. If it's something else, find out what it takes to make that happen. Not everyone plays VP for the same reason. Everyone wants to win. Winning at VP can have different definitions depending on who is talking. Some players want to maintain a budget. Some want to play longer with their money. Some want to see more royals. Sometimes making those things happen conflicts with computer perfect profit strategy. As long as the player knows the ramifications, no harm done.

No one is unintelligent for choosing a VP goal that is different from your goal. Unintelligent is playing VP with no goal and no strategy.

I am in 100% agreement with the experts, their books and CDs. The only thing I do not agree with is a guaranteed win. Anyone who believes in this is ignoring the facts.

The experts don't guarantee anything. They are not going to rebate your losses. If you end up a loser, they won't give you your money back for the books and CDs you bought. Why? Because they can't control the game when you play it. They can't control the game when they play it either. Playing VP with math based strategies is the best we have. However you choose to play the game, VP will always be gambling.

Carcounter
Video Poker Master

Post by Carcounter »

Phil, I think we understand your point, however, as I have said before, I keep good records and in the years before the recession, AC had positive games and I ran positive 8 out of 10 years. Then paytables were reduced, but there were still 99.5% or better games which with cashback and comp dollars are close to but not over 100%. I still play these games and have run negative 6 out of the last 9 years, although not by much, averaging -2k per year. Coincidence? I don't think so. I believe in the math based on my experience.

New2vp
Video Poker Master

Post by New2vp »

FloridaPhil wrote:
Wed Jan 02, 2019 4:06 am
Recreational VP is not about facts.
Well, I guess Bill and he agree on this idea. I still think you may be better off, even in this section, sticking with facts once in a while, at least, stick with them rather than just making stuff up.
FloridaPhil wrote:
If you boil down all our posts, you will discover there is only one basic thing we disagree on.

I do not believe in guaranteed to win video poker strategies.

I am in 100% agreement with the experts, their books and CDs. The only thing I do not agree with is a guaranteed win.

The experts don't guarantee anything.
Read his words carefully. Even "boiling" this single post down creates contradictions. No one else needs to join the debate to point out the fallacies here for some.

For the few, if "the experts don't guarantee anything," as he said above, did they really tell Phil that they had a guaranteed-to-win strategy that he must use?

And he only disagrees about one thing? Is guaranteeing profits what this thread was about? Did anyone say that if you drew 5 new cards rather than holding two-card ace-high royal draws, that you were guaranteed to win?

It seems difficult enough for him to stay on any one subject or even to state his own beliefs unambiguously. He may want to steer clear from advising others and from paraphrasing what others say or believe. Hmm ... should I offer a guarantee as to whether or not that will happen?

New2vp
Video Poker Master

Post by New2vp »

FloridaPhil wrote:
No one is unintelligent for choosing a VP goal that is different from your goal.

Unintelligent is playing VP with no goal and no strategy.
Really? He's going to call people unintelligent if some people happen to play video poker solely as an escape, a stress reliever or just to pass the time while enjoying their day!

Do we really need him denigrating others' play or motives, particularly in the recreational section of this forum? ;)

FloridaPhil
Video Poker Master

Post by FloridaPhil »

Video poker is a big enough tent to include all players. If you play VP for profit alone, I can't add anything to this discussion over what is already known. If you play for some other reason, I want you to be able to openly discuss your ideas without the Forum strategy police picking apart your every word.

If it bothers you that someone wants to pay 4 cents a hand for an error that may produce more $1,000 royals, you should get over it. Suppose all the golf pros in the world got together and decided to ban everyone from playing golf who can't shoot par? Would this help the game of golf? If you are one of the very few people in this world that makes money playing VP, do what you do. There is no need to spend your time trying to convince players who don't care that yours is the only way to play the game.

New2vp
Video Poker Master

Post by New2vp »

If we're talking golf, we would probably prefer lessons from someone who understood what it took to become better than from someone who didn't.

Perhaps the players who choose to play video poker with other-than-max-EV strategy deserve to read posts from someone who has something new to offer in the way of knowledge; doesn't consistently criticize, misquote, and try to suggest he knows more than the experts; and can make a coherent case without tripping over his own words.

Most do not care if someone wants to drive below the speed limit on the interstates. But lots more people care if those drivers want to selfishly occupy space in the passing lane.

billryan
Video Poker Master

Post by billryan »

New2vp wrote:
Wed Jan 02, 2019 9:27 am
If we're talking golf, we would probably prefer lessons from someone who understood what it took to become better than from someone who didn't.

Perhaps the players who choose to play video poker with other-than-max-EV strategy deserve to read posts from someone who has something new to offer in the way of knowledge; doesn't consistently criticize, misquote, and try to suggest he knows more than the experts; and can make a coherent case without tripping over his own words.

Most do not care if someone wants to drive below the speed limit on the interstates. But lots more people care if those drivers want to selfishly occupy space in the passing lane.

Thats all well and good but lets keep our priorities straight.
Pepperoni or sausage? Place by me offers kale as a pizza topping.