Bestest strategy ever from a secret pro.

The lighter side... playing for entertainment, less concerned about "the math."
billryan
Video Poker Master

Bestest strategy ever from a secret pro.

Post by billryan »

Had the good fortune to sit next to one of the best video poker players in the world today at the Emerald Island. Man claimed he has been playing video poker since his days in Vietnam and has never had a losing year. In fact, he can't recall a losing session. He was kind enough to share some of his strategy but understandably he didn't share everything.
So first off you have to find a machine where you can alter your bets from 1-100, although 1-10 can work.
It's really simple. He likes to play NSUD so this is how he explained it. I'm sure you can adjust the betting to your game.
He bets minimum bet until he has had four non-paying hands. Then he raises his bet- but this is the kicker. If no wild card has come out during any of these losing hands, he goes to max bet and does that until a win. Then he drops down to minimum. Rinse and repeat. If you lose four hands including any with a wild card, you bet half max until you win.
I was skeptical at first, but then he told me about the beautiful house he owns in Mesquite and said he vacations in Hawaii at least five, sometimes six times a year.

wildman49
Video Poker Master

Post by wildman49 »

Now you got me thinking. What denomination is he playing at? Is minimum bet 5 coins or 1? I like a strategy now and again. I have 20 coin machines to play.

olds442jetaway
Video Poker Master

Post by olds442jetaway »

Very similar to the martingale clone i play, although different in that I dont drop to minimum. I will have to look into it. I also play deuces. The best i can find is airport deuces. I am ahead at some point every session but still have work to do on discipline. Funny though in that i also wait for 4 non paying hands. I developed mine from just taking in things on over 40 million hands of lifetime play. I have often posted on the necessity of being able to vary your bets. The quarter machines i play go from bet one to bet 25. Same on the halves and dollar option within the same machine. My post today on last nights session is how it is supposed to work. I probably need to allow a larger bankroll. I just cant justify it. Years ago i killed them on the 2 cent machines that allowed betting from 1 to 100. I posted long tkme ago about them. They yanked them out years ago

billryan
Video Poker Master

Post by billryan »

E.I. has machines for one cent to five cents, one coin to one hundred.

onemoretry
Video Poker Master

Post by onemoretry »

billryan wrote:
Thu Jan 31, 2019 5:24 pm
Had the good fortune to sit next to one of the best video poker players in the world today at the Emerald Island. Man claimed he has been playing video poker since his days in Vietnam and has never had a losing year. In fact, he can't recall a losing session.
Why do I have the feeling that all this was written in jest?

olds442jetaway
Video Poker Master

Post by olds442jetaway »

I didnt know they had vp in viet nam way back. Have to look into that

FAA
Video Poker Master

Post by FAA »

Prank post seen from miles away. Almost 3,000!

Tedlark
Video Poker Master

Post by Tedlark »

Where did billryan state what years this man was in Vietnam? Everyone may ASSUME it was anywhere from 1962 - 1975 but that may not be right.

billryan
Video Poker Master

Post by billryan »

Perhaps he was born and raised there.

olds442jetaway
Video Poker Master

Post by olds442jetaway »

From what i read, vp as we know it today started around 1970. Didnt catch on at first, but went wild by late 1970s. The first poker machines go back to the late 1800s