Tough Trip to Las Vegas

Did you hit any jackpots? Did you get a great comp? We all want to know!
Vman96
Video Poker Master

Re: Tough Trip to Las Vegas

Post by Vman96 »

billryan wrote:
Tue Feb 12, 2019 9:36 am
onemoretry wrote:
Tue Feb 12, 2019 8:04 am
I haven't had a lot of time to add anything to this (I've been busy feeding $100 bills into vp machines) - more on that later. To be fair to Southwest, we've taken dozens of flights with them, and this is the only notable situation we've encountered where I believe they could have done better.

There was, obviously, a lot of space available on that later flight, as it accommodated 29 additional passengers, and there were still many vacant seats. I cannot help thinking that, if there hadn't been seats available on that later flight, they would have held that earlier one for us.
We have a Bingo!
When I was first going to Vegas, American West had a 1045PM return flight and a midnite flight. If I got to the gate and there were only a few dozen passengers, it was almost inevitable that it would be canceled and we'd go on the midnite flight.
The straw that broke my relationship with them was when they canceled both flights, then offered to bus us to Primm and bring us back for a 6AM flight. Guy kept telling everyone Primm is just south of the end of Las Vegas Blvd.
Luckily, Jet Blue came along and became my go to airline.
Primm? WOW.

olds442jetaway
Video Poker Master

Post by olds442jetaway »

I don’t fly much but have had good experiences with jet blue. The Anerican Airlines planes have always been filthy and cramped. Never liked United or Delta. I did like Pan Am who went out of business a million years ago. Nowdays, with dad, I’m usuallu no more than an hour and a half from home.

Carcounter
Video Poker Master

Post by Carcounter »

Had a similar experience to BR's America West experience. Years ago Delta had a NY/NJ-Florida service that was called Delta Express. My family had a 2PM flight from Orlando to Newark. They also had a 4PM, 6PM and 8PM flight. They cancelled the 2PM, 4PM and 6PM flights and put everyone on the 8PM flight which was still only half full. Never used them again.

Carcounter
Video Poker Master

Post by Carcounter »

I can deal with just about anything on a 2 hour flight or less, but for anything longer, I'll pay for upgraded seats, better service etc.

billryan
Video Poker Master

Post by billryan »

I'm over 6'3 and 350 pounds. I used to spend a lot of money on first class seats until someone pointed out buying three extra leg room seats for two people cut the costs tremendously. We miss out on the warm face towels and free booze but save a grand a trip.
A couple of trips per year and it adds up. I have my trips and pizza too!

Vman96
Video Poker Master

Post by Vman96 »

billryan wrote:
Wed Feb 13, 2019 8:17 am
I'm over 6'3 and 350 pounds. I used to spend a lot of money on first class seats until someone pointed out buying three extra leg room seats for two people cut the costs tremendously. We miss out on the warm face towels and free booze but save a grand a trip.
A couple of trips per year and it adds up. I have my trips and pizza too!
Unless you get a free or heavily discounted upgrade, first class is a gigantic ripoff on many flights. But it's amazing how many people insist on first class and seem disappointed when they can't have it. And from reading the Rec Forum, sounds like Phil drinks the Kool-Aid too.

billryan
Video Poker Master

Post by billryan »

On some airlines, it's not a choice for me. I was on a Song flight once, in an aisle seat and the seat divider barely reached hafway cross my back. It would have been impossible for anyone to sit in the middle seat. I find first class to Vegas isn't as bad as to some cities, and having a first class ticket has all sorts of advantages besides the actual flight.
In many cases, it is overpriced.

Carcounter
Video Poker Master

Post by Carcounter »

Bill, I know Spirit has terrible reputation and well deserved, but they have a "big front seat" that is essentially the size of a first class seat, but without the free booze and food. Cost me an extra $75 if I remember on a flight from LA to Ft Lauderdale. Might be worth looking into.

olds442jetaway
Video Poker Master

Post by olds442jetaway »

Yes BR. My sister flies the way you do and figured it out a few years ago. She saves a bundle and is comfortable too.

TheBryk
Forum Newbie

Post by TheBryk »

story of my life