going for the 3 card hold?

The lighter side... playing for entertainment, less concerned about "the math."
stevel96a1
Video Poker Master

going for the 3 card hold?

Post by stevel96a1 »

how much do i lose whenever i get 3 to the royal and break apart everything else twopair/three of a king?

i know if i do this 1,00000 times over and that 1,00000 times over its a bad move to go for the 3 card royal but the time i do hit it vs the long run catching up to me how much do i lose in theory with that play?

onemoretry
Video Poker Master

Post by onemoretry »

Are you seriously suggesting that you would break up a three of a kind in favour of a three to a royal draw?

FloridaPhil
Video Poker Master

Post by FloridaPhil »

I have thought about this more than a few times. Of course it would depend upon the game, the amount of your bet and the specific cards. In Deuces Wild we break non deuce pairs with three to a royal as there is no payout for a high pair without a deuce. My VPW software says if you are playing 9/5 DDB 5 quarters at a time, ditching a pair of Kings for example to hold three to a royal costs you 14 cents. This is more than 10% of $1.25 as you will never get 3 or 4 or a kind from that hand. Also these hands happen fairly often.

I don't think it's worth it even for a Recreational Player. You will hit more royals this way, but it will cost you a lot more in the long run. The exception would be if a progressive royal grew big enough to change the numbers. Personally, I have never seen one that big, but I'm sure it has happened.

That's my 2 cents anyway. I'm sure others will have their own opinions.

olds442jetaway
Video Poker Master

Post by olds442jetaway »

The only time I would even think about is when I was holding a paying pair. Even then once in a blue moon if I had a suited 10 J Q. I can count on one hand all the times I have tried it in ocer 30 years of play.

FloridaPhil
Video Poker Master

Post by FloridaPhil »

Anything that can happen will happen. After it happens, players all want to know what the odds were that it happened....100%. :lol:

stevel96a1
Video Poker Master

Post by stevel96a1 »

im sure many of us saw the remaining cards came into the screen and i know the correct play but i cant help to think im here for the royal and i think more than 50% of my royals were NOT 4 card holds.

with that being said both hands are very rare seeing those 3 cards on the screen does not happen often but when it does i want to capitalize on it, but again the math says thats a bad move

billryan
Video Poker Master

Post by billryan »

Are you there for the Royal or are you there to make money? If you are there to make money, play the right way. If you are screwing around throwing money at a machine instead of a dancer, go for the Royal.
Just be aware that no successful player ever thinks he is playing for the big hand.

stevel96a1
Video Poker Master

Post by stevel96a1 »

my 2nd royal flush in atlantic city was incorrect hold, an ace and a jack same suit, and the experts say dont hold them, well i got a royal holding them within 30min of playtime aces and faces , just makes me think how random are random events

Jstark
Video Poker Master

Post by Jstark »

That's a 1 in a 16,215 chance. Not really that rare.

FloridaPhil
Video Poker Master

Post by FloridaPhil »

billryan wrote:
Wed Mar 13, 2019 6:35 pm
Are you there for the Royal or are you there to make money?
My wife has hit two royals holding Ace Ten playing Deuces Wild. She plays VP to hit royals and doesn't care if she overpays. She does hit a lot more Wild Royals this way. She would not do this if the wild cards weren't in the game. Like Bill says, it all depends on why you are playing.