Multi-line play, pro's & con's.

Discuss proper hold strategies and "advantage play" and ask questions about how to improve your play.
tech58
Video Poker Master

Multi-line play, pro's & con's.

Post by tech58 »

I have never played much multi-line. From various posts i have read i believe that the pay-table ER is the same for 1-3-5-------100 hands on a multi-line machine. If so then the only difference is the amount you want to bet?
And a regular single line machine bet (same game same ER) of $5 is no better no worse than the same bet on multi-lines.
Or is there some mysterious edge i fail to see (due to my inferior intellect as a recreational player)?

These questions are probably going to be viewed as sophomoric by some. In which case i will hide behind my favorite tee-shirt quote, "Of all the things i have lost, i miss my mind the most".

I tried to put a smillie at the end of that last sentence but i don't know how to do that (there's that intellect thing again).

wildman49
Video Poker Master

Post by wildman49 »

tech58 wrote:
Fri Apr 05, 2019 10:40 am
I have never played much multi-line. From various posts i have read i believe that the pay-table ER is the same for 1-3-5-------100 hands on a multi-line machine. If so then the only difference is the amount you want to bet?
And a regular single line machine bet (same game same ER) of $5 is no better no worse than the same bet on multi-lines.
Or is there some mysterious edge i fail to see (due to my inferior intellect as a recreational player)?

Tech I to don't play much multi-line. Where you and I play the best game I found is DW a hair under 99% pay back. It's a break even play for us when we include free play. I think the JOB is 9/5 and 98.5% ish. I Don't like giving up .5 to 1% leaving single line for multi line. One can rack up points faster for say a promo, that might be the only reason for me to opt out of single line for muti line.

I think your right the EV is the same if both have same pay table.

tech58
Video Poker Master

Post by tech58 »

Thanks WM . More coin-in more quickly= more points. Or on some days more pain?
MON & TUES next four weeks. Look for NW hat.
BTW more info. about points/comps/ratings. Their sneaky program does not only look at points earned, with 3 month moving average. The length of each session is possibly more important (tid- bit of info from a host). They penalize short sessions heavily. They want us to hold still while they grind away at our wallet. Hit&run, pot-shots,bad button machines, moving to avoid smoke or drunks, it's all the same to the computer. My grandson pulled up a line graph of his play on his phone. Ever seen that? I had not.
Head scratching session over that beer may benefit us both.

billryan
Video Poker Master

Post by billryan »

As far as I know, the only difference between the two would be you can't play 1,000 hands of 100 play and consider it 100,000 hands. People play a couple hours, don't get a Royal and then claim they are 200,000 hands without getting a Royal. It's great getting four of a kind on the bottom. I've never seen a photo of a dealt Royal on a 100 play, but I'm sure they exist.
Very few places offer the same pay on 100s as they do on single play. If they do, I'd think the single pay must be bad, rather than the other way around.

tech58
Video Poker Master

Post by tech58 »

billryan wrote:
Fri Apr 05, 2019 12:55 pm
As far as I know, the only difference between the two would be you can't play 1,000 hands of 100 play and consider it 100,000 hands. People play a couple hours, don't get a Royal and then claim they are 200,000 hands without getting a Royal. It's great getting four of a kind on the bottom. I've never seen a photo of a dealt Royal on a 100 play, but I'm sure they exist.
Very few places offer the same pay on 100s as they do on single play. If they do, I'd think the single pay must be bad, rather than the other way around.
Thanks BR. Your point about the 100,000 hands seems to be correct since the starting point for each of the 100 hands is the same.
BTW There were pictures not long ago of not one but two dealt royals on 100 play $1 at the Cosmo. You have done the math quicker in your head than i can type it, but for the rest of us intellectually challenged recreational players,$400,000 was one pretty picture. The link to it was on this site you would probably know how to pull it up. Or someone else may.

wildman49
Video Poker Master

Post by wildman49 »

tech58 wrote:
Fri Apr 05, 2019 11:35 am
Thanks WM . More coin-in more quickly= more points. Or on some days more pain?
MON & TUES next four weeks. Look for NW hat.
BTW more info. about points/comps/ratings. Their sneaky program does not only look at points earned, with 3 month moving average. The length of each session is possibly more important (tid- bit of info from a host). They penalize short sessions heavily. They want us to hold still while they grind away at our wallet. Hit&run, pot-shots,bad button machines, moving to avoid smoke or drunks, it's all the same to the computer. My grandson pulled up a line graph of his play on his phone. Ever seen that? I had not.
Head scratching session over that beer may benefit us both.
I will find out about that short play at Standish next month. My normal play was to play off free play and leave, the last 3 months played 3 hours then headed to work. I think I will still be stuck at $150 a week, it's hard to get to the next level $250.

Next 3 trips to Eagle will be after work, 3 Tue. playing off free play at Slot Palace and running.
No trips in May. Will be there for REO concert in June, might be our best bet for that drink.

onemoretry
Video Poker Master

Post by onemoretry »

I prefer to play multiline video poker. To me, playing multiline is a less stressful way to wager more per deal. I would never even contemplate playing single line $2 vp, with a wager of $10 per deal, yet I have no trouble at all with $12.50 per deal on 10 line 25c, 5 line 50c, and 50 line 5c games. I know others have commented that the multi line games usually have poorer pay tables, but that is not what I've experienced.

There can be some rough times, but not any more so than with single line play. And, there can be some great times as well, when the highly promising deals come in, and you get to draw for a big hand multiple times.

And, to me, it's just simply more fun to play multiline.

Bobbi

Post by Bobbi »

More fun for me too. I find I get bored playing single hand.

Tedlark
Video Poker Master

Post by Tedlark »

Bobbi wrote:
Sat Apr 06, 2019 1:48 am
Me too.

tech58
Video Poker Master

Post by tech58 »

Tedlark wrote:
Sat Apr 06, 2019 3:06 am
Bobbi wrote:
Sat Apr 06, 2019 1:48 am
Me too.
Me too? I thought that was a buzzword on a different subject.

However,Me too. Single line can be boring. But i can't find good pay-tables on multi-line where i play.
9-6 JOB is widely available here,single line, will look again multi-line.