Always play max coins! Sad story

Did you hit any jackpots? Did you get a great comp? We all want to know!
RobertTexas
Forum Newbie

Always play max coins! Sad story

Post by RobertTexas »

Short version:
At Harrah’s LV playing $25 video poker. Was running a little short of bank, so alternated 1 coin and 5 coin plays. Hit JQ clubs in deal. Drew 10KA. Jackpot!
1 coin_= $6250. 5 coin = $100,000
I left $93,750 behind because I didn’t play max!!
Go big or go home!

Eduardo
Video Poker Master

Post by Eduardo »

Well, you might have "gone home" early if you had been betting the max the whole time, of course. For many, a $6,250 win would be great. But they probably don't play $25 a hand to begin with.

This is why I always play max coin. Of course, the $25 level is not something I can even relate to. I don't have the bankroll (or stomach) for such levels. That would be a potshot for me (only a few deals). But i don't take pot shots unless they are max coin for this very reason. If I couldn't sustain max bet, I'd move to a lower denom before playing single coin.

Glad you hit something though.

Gronbog

Post by Gronbog »

Taking the time to switch denominations between hands changed your timing with respect to the RNG. You may not have hit a royal at all had you stayed with one denomination or the other.

It's rarely productive to fret over what has already happened, unless you're using the experience to improve your game. Much better to be aware of the risks and rewards of what we plan to do. It sounds like you were under bankrolled for your session.
Last edited by Gronbog on Mon Apr 08, 2019 8:01 am, edited 2 times in total.

Player422738
VP Veteran

Post by Player422738 »

If you decide to bet 1 coin, then switch to lower denomination and bet max.

I saw a guy playing dollar machine and hit the royal flush betting 1 dollar, and he won $250 only. It’s far worse than betting a quarter more and playing on quarter machine.

9/6 JoB pays only 98.37% betting 1 credit. It’s worse than 9/5 or 8/6 betting max. Either way, player betting 1 credit is a noob.

FloridaPhil
Video Poker Master

Post by FloridaPhil »

You won $6,250 and you are sad? If you had been playing max coins you could have lost 3-5 royals before you hit another royal. It's not how much you win that counts. It's how much you win minus how much you lose. However, I have to believe anyone who has the guts and the bankroll to play $25 a hand should play max coins.

billryan
Video Poker Master

Post by billryan »

There is a lesson there. Some will get it, some won't. Some will even think this post is about them.

Vman96
Video Poker Master

Post by Vman96 »

Bah, but at least the timing got you the royal!

But if I was playing that high, I would have just switched between the $5 and $25 denomination and bet max at all times.

Tedlark
Video Poker Master

Post by Tedlark »

Vman96 wrote:
Mon Apr 08, 2019 9:25 am
Bah, but at least the timing got you the royal!

But if I was playing that high, I would have just switched between the $5 and $25 denomination and bet max at all times.
Me too, hit something and build that bankroll back up.

To the OP: Congrats on the royal just the same.

Carcounter
Video Poker Master

Post by Carcounter »

Eduardo wrote:
Mon Apr 08, 2019 7:13 am
Well, you might have "gone home" early if you had been betting the max the whole time, of course. For many, a $6,250 win would be great. But they probably don't play $25 a hand to begin with.

This is why I always play max coin. Of course, the $25 level is not something I can even relate to. I don't have the bankroll (or stomach) for such levels. That would be a potshot for me (only a few deals). But i don't take pot shots unless they are max coin for this very reason. If I couldn't sustain max bet, I'd move to a lower denom before playing single coin.

Glad you hit something though.
Small item, but he was playing $25 a hand instead of $125 a hand. Better to play max coin at the $5.00 level than single coin at the $25 level.

FloridaPhil
Video Poker Master

Post by FloridaPhil »

Carcounter wrote:
Mon Apr 08, 2019 1:05 pm
Better to play max coin at the $5.00 level than single coin at the $25 level.
Is it better to be run down by a bus or a Tesla? Just kidding. :lol: