You Da Man....

Talk about your new shoes, new car, or UFO's!
Galeygoo
VP Veteran

You Da Man....

Post by Galeygoo »

I don't know what else I can say.... Thank You, Tiger... and Congratulations!! WOW :D

Tedlark
Video Poker Master

Post by Tedlark »

I do: I was hopeful that the adulterer never won another tournament as long as he lived, much less a major...

notes1
Video Poker Master

Post by notes1 »

never been a tiger fan myself. not all is fault but, i just cannot stand how the press kisses his butt. you know that some members of the media knew about what he was doing and they just covered it up.

what i do dislike is how he and many other celebrities portray an image and then you find out the real truth. he cultivated the image of a family man, it was just a charade. it would be like phil being a spoken against gambling.

Galeygoo
VP Veteran

Post by Galeygoo »

I am a Golf fan. Say what you want about him but he is great for the game!!! I'm guessing I'm not his only fan; hence the extreme ROARS from that crowd. :up:

billryan
Video Poker Master

Post by billryan »

I've never been a huge fan, but honestly never got the hatred towards him. For him to overcome multiple back surgeries to win the Masters is one of the epic sports stories of our lifetime.

Tedlark
Video Poker Master

Post by Tedlark »

I did root for him before the stories of his infidelity surfaced. If he was caught with 1 woman the actual number was most likely much higher.

In my opinion he is also not the greatest of all time either, there are several golfers on my list that I would place above him.

Gale Sayers came back from what should have been career ending knee surgery to win the rushing title, Niki Lauda came back from what should have been a deadly Formula 1 crash to win. Tiger wasn't the only one.

Eduardo
Video Poker Master

Post by Eduardo »

We are all human. Some make bigger mistakes than others and when someone is a role model, those mistakes can have a bigger impact. Tiger deserves to be criticized for his mistakes and if those sins are big enough that people choose not to celebrate his victories, I do understand it.

I find that with professional athletes (and most pubic figures, historical figures, etc) I often have to distinguish between the achievement and the person. I wish it didn't have to be that way, but the truth is, most of us have made some pretty glaring mistakes in our lives that would be pretty hard to live down if the entire world were focused on them. Few of us achieve something that the world will take notice of and celebrate.

So while I can say Tiger was utterly stupid and wrong in many ways, I can also look at him and recognize the incredible achievements. Obviously in his youth, but the come back now after such struggles when he was all but done with golf a couple years ago is striking.

I wish him continued success. Hopefully so that he can not only be celebrated as a golfer, but through sharing his story (which includes his mistakes) he can also show that life doesn't end at your first offense. People can learn and become better people. That doesn't always happen. Some (a lot of people) go on in their ways. I don't know where Tiger will end up in his personal life... that is up to him, but I wish him the best there as well.

Hopefully some will see his achievements and be inspired to do great things. Hopefully people can see his mistakes and realize that is a bad path to go down. By doing so, we become better through both the achievements and the failures.

billryan
Video Poker Master

Post by billryan »

Tedlark wrote:
Mon Apr 15, 2019 8:10 am
I did root for him before the stories of his infidelity surfaced. If he was caught with 1 woman the actual number was most likely much higher.

In my opinion he is also not the greatest of all time either, there are several golfers on my list that I would place above him.

Gale Sayers came back from what should have been career ending knee surgery to win the rushing title, Niki Lauda came back from what should have been a deadly Formula 1 crash to win. Tiger wasn't the only one.
Sayers was in his twenties when he had surgery and it certainly shortened his career. For a 43 year old to come back like this is a near miracle. For a man that had accomplished so much and had so much money to be willing to dedicate himself to the effort needed to do this is remarkable.
I'm not sure he is the greatest ever, but he dominated the game for an extended period unlike anyone else.

Tedlark
Video Poker Master

Post by Tedlark »

Being able to identify a bad path and going down it anyway because you feel that your fame will somehow shield you from the harm which may befall you is much easier than just not going down that same bad path.

Ultimately though, the number of championships he ends up with will not alter my life one way or the other and there are others that I would consider better sports role models than him. How about the one handed player in the NFL? Or the ex-major league pitcher who played with a deformed hand? The list could go on.

Eduardo
Video Poker Master

Post by Eduardo »

I didn't watch the Masters.

At times I've been more inspired by a weeknight Chimichanga than Tiger Woods.

I'm just saying, I can appreciate the effort. :lol: