Anyone else watching Jeopardy??

Talk about your new shoes, new car, or UFO's!
Tedlark
Video Poker Master

Re: Anyone else watching Jeopardy??

Post by Tedlark »

tech58 wrote:
Fri May 03, 2019 4:52 am
case wrote:
Thu May 02, 2019 7:32 pm
Tedlark wrote:
Wed May 01, 2019 8:36 pm
case wrote:
Wed May 01, 2019 7:42 pm
Still have no idea how a person can have such diverse knowledge.
I don't find it to be too big a burden.....
Great answer Ted!
Shouldn't he have phrased that as a question on a Jeopardy related thread? :? :)
W_A_ _S N_

In keeping with the game show theme.....

billryan
Video Poker Master

Post by billryan »

I think he might beat Jennings money but not his consecutive win streak. He's bound to miss a big bet eventually. It's like going all in every hand. Jennings was much more conservative.

Galeygoo
VP Veteran

Post by Galeygoo »

I hope he beats Jennings in both categories. Jennings definitely drew viewers but I found him arrogant and too many times I felt he feigned confidence in his answers, er, questions to appear likable. Yep, wasn't a Jennings fan here, lol

I have to say I think it's funny how James' competitors seem to start out optimistic; then by the end of the first round they appear to be skeptical and by the end of Double Jeopardy they all seem shocked. Some of the contestants that have challenged James seem to be viable candidates that deserve a return visit i/m/o

tech58
Video Poker Master

Post by tech58 »

W_A__SN_ ? I give up.

Tedlark
Video Poker Master

Post by Tedlark »

WHAT IS NO

Gronbog

Post by Gronbog »

Being able to answer the questions is only part of the game. There is also a strategic element to the betting. By answering the large value questions first, he makes it very difficult for the others to catch him because they must answer more lower valued questions in order to do so. About half way through each round, he reaches a point where, even of someone answered all the remaining questions on the board, they still would not catch him. Also by betting big, he catches most of the daily doubles which tend to be behind the larger amounts.

This is something that very few players have realized over the years, and his current opponents are no different. I see them going from low to high over and over again, effectively putting themselves out of contention.

Galeygoo
VP Veteran

Post by Galeygoo »

Funny how the "May Sweeps Teacher's" challenge has become a "snoozefest" since James is on a two week break.. :lol:

I never "loved" the Teacher's Challenge but I sure do miss the fun and "awe" of watching James :)

Eduardo
Video Poker Master

Post by Eduardo »

Gronbog wrote:
Sat May 04, 2019 11:53 am
Being able to answer the questions is only part of the game. There is also a strategic element to the betting. By answering the large value questions first, he makes it very difficult for the others to catch him because they must answer more lower valued questions in order to do so. About half way through each round, he reaches a point where, even of someone answered all the remaining questions on the board, they still would not catch him. Also by betting big, he catches most of the daily doubles which tend to be behind the larger amounts.

This is something that very few players have realized over the years, and his current opponents are no different. I see them going from low to high over and over again, effectively putting themselves out of contention.
Other than the Daily Double, is there really an advantage to picking the high numbers sooner? I think everyone has the same chance at answering, so if opponents were to pick high numbers at the beginning, wouldn't that only help him if he keeps answering them?

I always figured that other than the Daily Double opportunities, the order really made no difference.
Last edited by Eduardo on Tue May 07, 2019 9:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

olds442jetaway
Video Poker Master

Post by olds442jetaway »

Skipped Jeopardy till he’s back

Gronbog

Post by Gronbog »

Eduardo wrote:
Tue May 07, 2019 9:17 pm
Other than the Daily Double, is there really an advantage to picking the high numbers sooner? I think everyone has the same chance at answering, so if opponents were to pick high numbers at the beginning, wouldn't that only help him if he keeps answering them?

I always figured that other than the Daily Double opportunities, the order really made no difference.
Well that's the thing. Everyone does not have an even chance of answering. The person in control of the board gets to pick the category and will tend to choose something they are comfortable with. They have a better chance of gaining a lead than of falling behind. If they bet big at the start, then once ahead, the others need to answer more questions in order to catch up or they need to bet big to catch up. Once all the big bets are gone, the second option is gone with it. Also,with a big lead, you can bet larger on the daily double with less risk.

This guy is a triple threat. He has vast knowledge, he is fast on the buzzer and he bets strategically. What I'm seeing is that he gets a lead of a few thousand and then his opponents start with a 200 bet. They need to answer 2 or 3 questions for every one he answers in order to catch him. That simply isnt going to happen.