Nostalgia

Talk about your new shoes, new car, or UFO's!
olds442jetaway
Video Poker Master

Re: Nostalgia

Post by olds442jetaway »

My one trip I had an egg salad sandwich and slice of apple pie. I don’t know why, but the food tasted so good. I think part of it was psychological. The thrill of just being there and using the machine.

OTABILL
Video Poker Master

Post by OTABILL »

advantage playe wrote:
Fri May 17, 2019 7:55 pm
nobody remembers the baked beans ?? they were the best !!!!
I never had the baked beans but my wife says they were fabulous. She only had them at the H&H restaurant, not the automat though she ate there as well.

advantage playe
Video Poker Master

Post by advantage playe »

thanks for the memories !!!!!!!!

olds442jetaway
Video Poker Master

Post by olds442jetaway »

Lets keep them going. Keep the thread going even if we change the subject matter. I never knew until I read the above link that the Automat ultimately became Burger King.

olds442jetaway
Video Poker Master

Post by olds442jetaway »

As a kid, most of us either made soap box racers, had pedal cars, or both. We had very little money growing up, but my dad moonlighted a little and one Christmas I got a cool army jeep pedal car. I loved it. Of course it had only been a few years since the WW2 veterans had returned and Korea was still going on. When we had a dime or two we bought bags of army men and played war. Little did we know as 7 or 8 year olds the real horror of war. Most all of the neighbors were Veterans of WW2. Many had wounds that affected them throughout life yet they made the best of it and worked very hard for their families. What kinds of pedal cars or racers did you guys and gals have?

Galeygoo
VP Veteran

Post by Galeygoo »

I agree; let's keep this thread going....It brings back such sweet memories! :)

I and my sisters had no such pedal cars or racers but one of my oldest, fondest memories what that of waiting for "Tony" the Good Humor man to come down the street and my Grandpa (who bought us our bikes with training wheels) would treat us to our favorite ice cream novelty... :heart:

Mine were always either the Chocolate Eclair bar or Toasted Almond bar and still are...

olds442jetaway
Video Poker Master

Post by olds442jetaway »

Toasted Almond for me. We usually didn't have the money for one, but once in awhile. I thought the trucks were cool. 1957 Chevys with the sunshades built in over the headlights. My dad actually had a 57 Chevy Belair a beautiful turquoise and white one. It was well used when he got it, but with the v8 engine and the beautiful styling, it was the talk of the neighborhood for awhile. The good humor trucks in my neighborhood were always sparkling white and clean. We thought it was cool when the driver opened the freezer and the fog came out.

olds442jetaway
Video Poker Master

Post by olds442jetaway »

Why is it that we have near photographic memories of those days and I cannot remember what I did yesterday sometimes or even what I had for dinner. I know, I know.....it is called aging. That's ok, I will take the memories

Tedlark
Video Poker Master

Post by Tedlark »

6.jpg
6.jpg (44.73 KiB) Viewed 2526 times

Galeygoo
VP Veteran

Post by Galeygoo »

Awwww, thanks, Ted... I can almost hear those chimes... :D