Nostalgia

Talk about your new shoes, new car, or UFO's!
billryan
Video Poker Master

Re: Nostalgia

Post by billryan »

pokerpokerpoker wrote:
Sun May 19, 2019 5:03 pm
I wax nostalgic about the deep-fried McDonald's apple pies.
I'm told Checkers fries their pies, although I have no personal knowledge of that.

olds442jetaway
Video Poker Master

Post by olds442jetaway »

I had one last week. Now they claim they are baked, but mine was overcooked and had hardly any apple inside. When it comes to pies, my favorite was the individual size Table talk peach pie. Blueberry was a close second. We always took them when my dad and I went fishing. We were lucky enough to have a Table Talk day old outlet nearby. They were only a nickel there. The standard fishing provisions were Bologna and mustard sandwiches, the pies, and a thermos of fresh percolated Maxwelhouse coffee mom made for us. Bottled water didn’t exist back then. We knew where the natural springs were and stopped on the way to fill my cubscout canteen.

advantage playe
Video Poker Master

Post by advantage playe »

what, no johnny walker black ??

olds442jetaway
Video Poker Master

Post by olds442jetaway »

Ok......Here’s one....Other than playing with odds and ends, who remembers their first set of golf clubs. Mine were a left handed set I got in 1959. Butchart Nicholls. I had saved up for a year from my paper route, but was still short a few bucks. I made another buck or two pitching baseball cards in the neighborhood and since it was around my birthday, my parents kicked in the 7 bucks I was short. I think the set was around 60 bucks at the time. Those clubs served me well for years. I finally gave them to a youngster in the neighborhood who was left handed and just starting out. I had refinished the woods and the grain in them was beautiful.

billryan
Video Poker Master

Post by billryan »

Got some House Seats for Hermans Hermits tonite at the Golden Nugget. I think it's the Peter Noone version of the band. Nuggets Friday night concert series brings old rockers together with a very receptive audience. Many of the acts are on the circuit where they play 3-4 songs and perform with multiple bands each night. The Nugget gives them a chance for a full concert to an audience that's all there for them.
Show are well run. Band hits the stage right after 8, finish up around 930, one encore and we are gambling by ten. Unlike many venues, drinks are very reasonable.

tech58
Video Poker Master

Post by tech58 »

Olds i had easy access to golf clubs. I started caddying at the local Country Club at age 8 or 9. At age 11 to 12 i worked in the pro shop quite often. Got to know many members well and the hand-me-down clubs were easy to come by. Not talking cheap stuff either. I started playing on caddy day which was Monday,and in the late summer the club pro mentioned seeing me swing and thought i could use some help. After labor day he had lots of time and i got better quickly. The following year i was on the caddy team that traveled to play other clubs in the area and broke 80, on tough private courses. The following year my lowest score was 74,that fall i got into high school football and basketball and baseball and gradually dropped golf for about 10 years. When i picked it up again, i had a tough time because the swing i had learned was pro style,all wrist and timing, and was not low maintenance like square-to-square.Oh i could still do well on occasion,and hit a 2-iron (my favorite) farther than most could hit their driver,but i lost interest when i retired and my hands started to go.
What did your first hard earned set lead to for you?

olds442jetaway
Video Poker Master

Post by olds442jetaway »

I eventualy got a set of spalding executives ( left handed ) from my local Irish Pub bartender’s son in law. He used them just 4 or 5 times and couldn’t get used to them and pretty much gave them to me for 50 bucks which he promotly left as a tip that evening for his hard working father in law who tended bar 6 days a week. I also lost interest during high school and played baseball then early in my work career in the B league Raquetball. Loved that game , but the abrupt starts and stops take a toll on your knees and ankles. I picked up golf again as a twice a month hobby, but never followed through completely to fully get rid of my left handed slice. When I packed away my clubs a couple of years ago to care for my ailing mom and, My scores had been hovering in the 88 to 92 range still good enough to not get shouted off the course for holding up play by the foresome in back of you. Hee hee. I may pick it up again and should as I get unlimited golf privileges on the Mohegan Sun course. If I do though, I have to geta new wardrobe cause the dress code is a bit rigid. No more play in my really nice and comfortable metal spike shoes is allowed either.
Last edited by olds442jetaway on Sat May 25, 2019 6:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

olds442jetaway
Video Poker Master

Post by olds442jetaway »

BR saw Herman’s Hermits last year at Mohegan Sun. Still good.

advantage playe
Video Poker Master

Post by advantage playe »

does chubby checker still perform at the wolf den, olds ?????????

olds442jetaway
Video Poker Master

Post by olds442jetaway »

Yes as of this moment anyway he is here once in awhile as is Little Anthony. Nearly twenty years ago, I took ny dad to see Les Brown and the Band of Renown at the wolf den. It was one of his last concerts and Les passed in 2000 He remembered my dad who was an expert tenor sax player and clarinet during ww2 in the Army band and also in the big bands after the war. I kinda ruined things by coming along in 1948 and the long band tours were no longer feasable. I am sitting with dad as we speak watching tv. He will be 95 soon. God Bless him and his generation for allowing us to even exist and be free today.