Coin Incrementing Strategies

The lighter side... playing for entertainment, less concerned about "the math."
FloridaPhil
Video Poker Master

Re: Coin Incrementing Strategies

Post by FloridaPhil »

I don't understand why anyone cares what a 72 year old quarter player who plays VP for fun thinks. I have as much in common with a Vegas professional player as my dog does to an astronaut. Is business that bad that they feel the need to fire off a post every time I make a statement? If you don't like what I say, don't read it.
Attachments
riley-300.jpg
riley-300.jpg (34.05 KiB) Viewed 3155 times
Last edited by FloridaPhil on Wed Jul 31, 2019 12:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

wildman49
Video Poker Master

Post by wildman49 »

FloridaPhil wrote:
Wed Jul 31, 2019 12:33 pm
If you don't like what I say, don't read it.
Amen!

Waiting4RF
VP Veteran

Post by Waiting4RF »

I think OLDS is the only one here who posted coin incrementing strategies. I consider an incrementing strategy one where you increase the bet size by 1 coin. Keep losing, increment by 1 coin again. He did not post his most recent method because it failed on trial #8 or so. He should post his method so others can learn.

FloridaPhil
Video Poker Master

Post by FloridaPhil »

The question that should be asked is "Why doesn't bet incrementing strategy work better than it does?" The answer is, when you increase your bet you are betting that you will be right in guessing when a jackpot will occur. No one can predict when this will happen accurately enough to turn a negative game positive. In reality, just the opposite occurs. When I increase my bet from $1.25 to $5.00 and lose, I increase my cost to play by another $3.75. Add up all the wrong guesses I make and it negates all my rare wins.

Recreational video poker players do all kinds of things that cost them money long term. Who is to say what a player is allowed to do to get what he/she wants? I have no problem with that as long as the player knows and is willing to accept the consequences.

Informed intelligent players do not have to mimic professionals to enjoy the game. If they play exclusively for profit, they should. If they have some other goal, they do what achieves that goal. My personal goal is to receive an occasional W2-G without paying full price.

olds442jetaway
Video Poker Master

Post by olds442jetaway »

Most know the ways I play are just various versions of Martingale. Sometimes, I wait between 3 and 10 hands before increasing my bet just one unit. I also back down accordingly on wins. I am still trying to find that perfect balance. Usually, I am ahead almost every trip. The problem comes in when you don’t quit when you are ahead. Eventually, as with any Martingale system, your bets will get very high on a long dud streak. When that happens, bankroll will bust and offset any prior wins as well.

olds442jetaway
Video Poker Master

Post by olds442jetaway »

I will list one example of a very mild Martingale clone method that I just cannot muster the discipline to try. I have trouble flat betting for any length of time. I will use airport deuces as an example. I am really going to force myself to try this. Bet one unit on deuces wild. That pays 200 for one. Anytime you hit quad deuces, before you have lost 200 coins, cash out and either quit for the day or start over. When and if you have lost 200 coins begin betting 2. Anytime your loss for the session is less than 200 coins return to bet one. When you run out of time for the day, next time you play, pick up where you left off. If you lose 400 coins without hitting deuces at bet 2, begin betting 3. Short coin Royal is a factor unless you have access to an 800 for bet 1 machine like I do.

OTABILL
Video Poker Master

Post by OTABILL »

FloridaPhil wrote:
Wed Jul 31, 2019 12:33 pm
I don't understand why anyone cares what a 72 year old quarter player who plays VP for fun thinks. I have as much in common with a Vegas professional player as my dog does to an astronaut. Is business that bad that they feel the need to fire off a post every time I make a statement? If you don't like what I say, don't read it.
I assume, therefore, your dog is not related to Laika. :lol: :lol: :lol: https://www.smithsonianmag.com/smithson ... 180968728/

olds442jetaway
Video Poker Master

Post by olds442jetaway »

:lol: He sure is a cutee though! I mean the dog not Phil. I guess the Mrs. finds them both cute of course or Phil and I for that matter wouldn’t be together with our spouses for close too 100 years between us.

billryan
Video Poker Master

Post by billryan »

olds442jetaway wrote:
Wed Jul 31, 2019 6:09 pm
I will list one example of a very mild Martingale clone method that I just cannot muster the discipline to try. I have trouble flat betting for any length of time. I will use airport deuces as an example. I am really going to force myself to try this. Bet one unit on deuces wild. That pays 200 for one. Anytime you hit quad deuces, before you have lost 200 coins, cash out and either quit for the day or start over. When and if you have lost 200 coins begin betting 2. Anytime your loss for the session is less than 200 coins return to bet one. When you run out of time for the day, next time you play, pick up where you left off. If you lose 400 coins without hitting deuces at bet 2, begin betting 3. Short coin Royal is a factor unless you have access to an 800 for bet 1 machine like I do.
I'm trying to follow this, but what is the purpose? What is your goal here? You don't like flat betting but
want to bet one coin for an hour or more and then do it all over with two coins? How often do you lose 200X your base bet? What advantage do you gain to justify giving up the Royal bonus? At least a real Marty gets exciting pretty quickly. Yours seems like grind.

olds442jetaway
Video Poker Master

Post by olds442jetaway »

I said in the beginning, That so far, I don’t have the discipline to do this. I think however, it would keep my losses way down. The purpose like any Martingale, would to do well by hitting at a higher bet and offsetting all of the prior losses. If I lose 4 or 5 hands in a row, I feel like I have to bet up to offset the prior losses. This is deadly if you stumble into a dud streak of 30 or 40 hands like I said in my post, I have access to an 800 for bet one machine. For most others, one would give up nearly 2 percent in the long run shortcoining.