About betting strategy and money management

The lighter side... playing for entertainment, less concerned about "the math."
Player422738
VP Veteran

About betting strategy and money management

Post by Player422738 »

Finally my suspension is over. Congratulations to me.

There are couple of threads including this one talking about betting strategies and I want to summarize and give everyone a simple answer.
https://www.videopoker.com/forum/viewto ... =5&t=10432

1. There is no betting strategy in Video Poker. Any strategy will be balanced out in long term.
2. If you play a negative game, you will lose in long term no matter how smart you are to manage your bankroll. If you play a positive game, you will likely to win after many many coin-ins, so just keep playing without worrying about anything as long as you have a relative large bankroll. So either money management doesn't work, or it's unnecessary.

Eduardo
Video Poker Master

Post by Eduardo »

I guess it depends on how you define "money management."

As far as gaining an edge, betting strategies won't do you any good.

When it comes to playing on a budget, money management is essential. You can only lose what you put in. Never put in more than you are prepared to lose.

Player422738
VP Veteran

Post by Player422738 »

Eduardo wrote:
Wed Aug 07, 2019 4:11 pm
I guess it depends on how you define "money management."

As far as gaining an edge, betting strategies won't do you any good.

When it comes to playing on a budget, money management is essential. You can only lose what you put in. Never put in more than you are prepared to lose.
I guess my point is long term. When playing negative game, you may only lose what you budget for today. But if you keep playing, you will lose another and another.

Eduardo
Video Poker Master

Post by Eduardo »

Yes. Nothing will turn a negative game positive (unless there are comps etc that are of greater value than the loss). Betting more and more (martingale), changing machines... none of that will get you an edge.

If someone's goal is to be a lifetime winner, they should only play when they have an advantage.

Otherwise, consider yourself a gambler.

If your goal is to have a chance at winning on a limited budget, then the odds of that happening will change based on what your budget is and what game you play. Odds are, the more you play, the more you will give away. That's gambling for you. (not just video poker)

FAA
Video Poker Master

Post by FAA »

Rather sobering topic. As I admitted in that thread, I use a one to five bet scale to garner more play. Today it produced a max quad in my second session. Nice to pocket the $125 and save the ignominy of a double bust day.

Player422738
VP Veteran

Post by Player422738 »

FAA wrote:
Wed Aug 07, 2019 5:12 pm
Rather sobering topic. As I admitted in that thread, I use a one to five bet scale to garner more play. Today it produced a max quad in my second session. Nice to pocket the $125 and save the ignominy of a double bust day.
Stay tuned. And it will balance out eventually. (Good luck won't help. :cry: )

FAA
Video Poker Master

Post by FAA »

Sure, noting one caveat. Should I get RF on max, I will instantly discern the karma and quit. The balance of the year will be an exercise in give back masochism.

olds442jetaway
Video Poker Master

Post by olds442jetaway »

I agree except long term could be longer than one’s lifetime. I am 100 percent sure that if I had quit when I was ten percent ahead for any given session, I would be ahead at this point. That’s like earning ten percent on your Money in a day. I am going to try and have the dicipline to do this

stevel96a1
Video Poker Master

Post by stevel96a1 »

i have to agree with Hop, hes right, 99.54 or 99.0 or 99.9 still same end game its a slot machine, a fancy smancy slot machine that you interact with if you want to label yourself a skilled player losing 0.46 then proceed. but FPDW or joker poker machines maybe even progressives VP jackpots reach 8,000 then you can call them a VP machine. my terminology from VP to SLOTS has changed if its a - in it then to me its not a VP machine just a glorified roulette machine

still, you can win big at lotteries, slots, and negative VP >=)
plan on taking a break after vegas while i still have fuel in the tank this year
goodluck to everyone else

billryan
Video Poker Master

Post by billryan »

olds442jetaway wrote:
Wed Aug 07, 2019 10:28 pm
I agree except long term could be longer than one’s lifetime. I am 100 percent sure that if I had quit when I was ten percent ahead for any given session, I would be ahead at this point. That’s like earning ten percent on your Money in a day. I am going to try and have the dicipline to do this

That's not discipline, it's voodoo.