More NYC insane proposals

Talk about your new shoes, new car, or UFO's!
olds442jetaway
Video Poker Master

More NYC insane proposals

Post by olds442jetaway »

The latest to hit the news in NYC is a proposal to eliminate the talented and gifted programs in NYC schools at the Elementary level. Their reason.....to promote diversity as the children in these programs are mostly Asian and White students. So instead of working on ways to if applicable to have more diverse students qualify, the panel says.....just get rid of the program entirely.

Bobbi

Post by Bobbi »

Wow- I skipped 3rd grade back in the Bronx - then went on to the SP class in Junior High. What the heck has happened to our school system? I suppose it hurts the "feelings" of those that don't qualify for a gifted program? Things sure have turned around - I remember the "not so gifted" making fun of the "gifted" because they had to carry so many heavy books around.

olds442jetaway
Video Poker Master

Post by olds442jetaway »

Yep they used to try and dump my books in the hallway, so I had to work out just a bit more and at one point when it got to the point where I couldn’t deal with it anymore, take on one of the toughest kids in the school in the schoolyard. If I remember I lost but not bu much. After that, all of a sudden all of the metal shop guys wanted be my friend

tech58
Video Poker Master

Post by tech58 »

olds442jetaway wrote:
Wed Aug 28, 2019 5:28 pm
Yep they used to try and dump my books in the hallway, so I had to work out just a bit more and at one point when it got to the point where I couldn’t deal with it anymore, take on one of the toughest kids in the school in the schoolyard. If I remember I lost but not bu much. After that, all of a sudden all of the metal shop guys wanted be my friend
Excellent points Olds. I can string similar memories from my own tumultuous youth.
We grew up in a different world. I was a jock so i had lots of very large friends. I was not a fighter but i was forced into it once in a while going 1-for-3 as i recall but it was part of growing. But i never dreamed of trying to hide behind my friends. And i never felt better or worse about my self about the outcome.

olds442jetaway
Video Poker Master

Post by olds442jetaway »

A different time for sure. I will never forget about ten years after the battle, luckily it was on grass and not on the men’s room tiles, my car broke down. Guess who stopped to give me a lift. Yep the tough kid. He had become a local cop which was no surprise, but had turned into a nice guy and good cop too. He picked me up in a beautiful 1960 Pontiac Bonnivle tripple white. It was already fifteen years old by then, but was still like new. Every so often we would run into each other. Back in 8th grade before the high school bs started we had gone neck and neck in the shotput throw. He beat me by an inch or so and went on to the finals and regionals. Speaking of neck he had none. Big tough no neck polish kid. Anyway, hope I’m not boring the young set too much. Feel bad for the gifted NYC kids who may get pushed back. Maybe the parents will put them in private school. Not always the best answer or life experience. I turned that down myself even though I won the national test for an elite private school scholarship for high school. Kinda glad i did and my parents supported my decision which was great.

Carcounter
Video Poker Master

Post by Carcounter »

No surprise here. The Schools Chancellor Richard Carranza is openly anti-white and is not afraid to say so. At least he is honest about who he is. The only borough left in NYC that has any white kids in the public school system is Staten Island and it is only a matter of time before that is gone. Middle Class white and minority families have moved out long ago.

Bobbi

Post by Bobbi »

You described my flight out of NY - Bronx, Brooklyn, Staten Island - then all the way to Colorado...

tech58
Video Poker Master

Post by tech58 »

Bobbi wrote:
Thu Aug 29, 2019 7:45 am
You described my flight out of NY - Bronx, Brooklyn, Staten Island - then all the way to Colorado...
Good thing you stopped short of the land of fruits and nuts or you would have been back in the deep Do-Do.

billryan
Video Poker Master

Post by billryan »

If any of you took the time to read about the subject rather than listen to hate radio, You'd understand that the problem with the program was since its inception, it has grown so much that 2/3rds of NYC students are eligible to join, but only a thousand or so are eligible. When they were making the program, they decided to give bonus points to siblings of students so parents didn't have to send kids to different schools. What it ended up meaning is many white and Asian kids got into the program because their older siblings were in.
John can score a 97 but is considered a legacy because his older brother is in so he's admitted. Ramon scores a 99 but because he is the oldest in his family he doesn't get in.
It doesn't take much to see that this is both unfair and very biased looking.
Try explaining to a parent whose kid got a higher score than two others but those kids got in and theirs didn't.
As it is currently set up, younger children are piggybacking onto their older siblings to get in with scores that wouldn't qualify them otherwise.
But its easier to just think its about hating white people.

Tedlark
Video Poker Master

Post by Tedlark »

How can it be that 2/3rds of NYC students are eligible to join, but only a thousand or so are eligible?

How can a person be eligible to join but not eligible?

Maybe I'm a bit loopy from listening the all the gunfire in Chicago over the weekend.....