2 Big Royals in 2 days!

Did you hit any jackpots? Did you get a great comp? We all want to know!
Player422738
VP Veteran

2 Big Royals in 2 days!

Post by Player422738 »

After 2 month's dry spell of royals (but i got tons of 4 aces w/ kicker fortunately) and it finally happened. I don't do too much on $2 denomination, but I did just couple of times recently and nice things happened very quickly.

The 9/6 DDAF pays 99.46%. And the strategy can get very complicated when 3 non-suited high cards are dealt including an Ace. This is a lot different from DDB or JoB because holding 2 high cards can yield 800 credits, but at the same time holding Ace with one high card can yield 2000 credits.

I am working on the strategy calculation. But if anyone (@BobDancer) has any easy basic strategy on this situation, please let me know.

tech58
Video Poker Master

Post by tech58 »

Congrats HH.
$2 JOB has bailed me out of a dry spell twice in last two years. :up:

Tedlark
Video Poker Master

Post by Tedlark »

Congrats on the nice royals. I've dabbed a toe into the $2.00 denomination pool playing 3 play Deuces Wild and all 3 times I did I hit the quad deuces relatively early. Early enough to bail up quite a bit after getting paid off.

Jstark
Video Poker Master

Post by Jstark »

hophoofer wrote:
Fri Dec 20, 2019 2:15 pm
After 2 month's dry spell of royals (but i got tons of 4 aces w/ kicker fortunately) and it finally happened. I don't do too much on $2 denomination, but I did just couple of times recently and nice things happened very quickly.

The 9/6 DDAF pays 99.46%. And the strategy can get very complicated when 3 non-suited high cards are dealt including an Ace. This is a lot different from DDB or JoB because holding 2 high cards can yield 800 credits, but at the same time holding Ace with one high card can yield 2000 credits.

I am working on the strategy calculation. But if anyone (@BobDancer) has any easy basic strategy on this situation, please let me know.
https://wizardofodds.com/games/video-po ... -50-d-800/

Jstark
Video Poker Master

Post by Jstark »

Nice hits BTW!!

olds442jetaway
Video Poker Master

Post by olds442jetaway »

Congrats.....Have to take a shot myself when bankroll recoups a bit. Great hits

New2vp
Video Poker Master

Post by New2vp »

Hey HH and Jstark, Here are some changes you may want to consider to the Wizard's tool:

1. Move these 3-card Royal Flush Draws above 4 to a Flush: TJQ; TJK; TQK; JQA; JQK; JKA; QKA (You should leave TJA; TQA; TKA below 4 to a Flush like it is presented in the Wizard Strategy) His strategy isn't wrong, but it takes a long time to look through his list of 4 to a flush holds and see that there aren't any holds included like 7TJQ or 6TJK.

2. QJ offsuit is better than QJ98 unless the 5th card is an Ace. (QJ is worse than QJT8 as stated.)

3. When you have AQJ with no matching suits, QJ offsuit is always better than AJ or AQ offsuit. You might see this if you go through all the Wizard's exceptions, but it is not obvious since the tool has all these listed together.

4. When you have JT suited in addition to an ace of another suit, first consider playing the JT. You will not want to play the JT If either (or both) of the other two cards is a 7, 8, 9, or the same suit as the jack. In that case play either the singleton ace or the AJ. The way you determine which is check to see if there is another card suited with the ace. If there is a flush penalty to the ace, play the AJ. If there is not a flush penalty to the ace, just play the ace.

5. When you have JT suited in addition to a king of another suit, first consider playing the JT. You will not want to play the JT If one of the other two cards is a 7, 8, or the same suit as the jack. In that case play KJ.

6. When you have AKJ or AKQ with no matching suits, first consider playing KJ or KQ offsuit. If one of the other two cards is a 9, then play two high cards including the Ace: AJ, AQ, or AK. It doesn't matter which option of the three you pick. It may be easiest to always pick AK when there is a 9 since that option will always be there.

7. When you have the Ace with one more high card (J, Q, or K), first consider playing both high cards. If you also have a Ten, then you will consider playing just the singleton Ace. You will do that UNLESS one of your cards is suited with that ace. If your ace has a flush penalty, you will revert back to playing both high cards.

8. If you have QT suited with no other high cards, play the QT UNLESS you have both another card suited with the QT and an 8 or 9. In that case, play the singleton Queen.

9. I would add KT suited to your table, but revert back to the singleton king if you have another card suited with the KT or a 9.

I know many people don't like to consider penalty cards for various reasons. If some of these situations seem too complicated, I doubt if ignoring any of these suggestions is going to be too consequential with the exception of #1. On the other hand, if after some practice, these come easy to you and do not slow you up too much, it won't hurt to make the higher EV hold, even if it only gains a few fractional coins.

Best of luck.

Oh, and just in case I made some inadvertent mistake, I should issue the standard disclaimer. This advice may not be worth more than what you paid for it! ;)

Jstark
Video Poker Master

Post by Jstark »

When in doubt, use his hand analyzer.

https://wizardofodds.com/games/video-po ... -analyzer/

Player422738
VP Veteran

Post by Player422738 »

New2vp, thank you a lot!

HQ H9 CJ C8 D7, this hand holding JQ is better even 5th card is not ace.

Vman96
Video Poker Master

Post by Vman96 »

Congrats on the hits!