Claiming World Record

Talk about your new shoes, new car, or UFO's!
tech58
Video Poker Master

Claiming World Record

Post by tech58 »

Collision with deer resulted in vehicle damage to the amount of: $27,366.02.
No injuries, but that has to be record territory.
Anyone top that?

Tedlark
Video Poker Master

Post by Tedlark »

My deer strike was only a few bucks over $15,000.00. At your amount I'm surprised they just didn't total your vehicle out. Unless it was a Kia or other high end vehicle.

tech58
Video Poker Master

Post by tech58 »

Luckily it WAS a total. The air bags went off because of speed at impact.
That added so much that when they got to $25,000 with repair they gave in. Did not want vehicle repaired, so i was happy with the call.
Vehicle was a 2018 Toyota Prius Prime with 35,000 miles. To replace with a new 2020 cost me out of pocket $130 after the Fed tax credit for a plug-in hybrid of $4502 and a Toyota $3000 incentive so no complaints. :up:

onemoretry
Video Poker Master

Post by onemoretry »

You didn't mention injuries - was anyone hurt?

Tedlark
Video Poker Master

Post by Tedlark »

onemoretry wrote:
Sat Dec 21, 2019 6:55 pm
You mean besides the deer of course. Sorry OMT, couldn't resist a Saturday night chuckle.

tech58
Video Poker Master

Post by tech58 »

onemoretry wrote:
Sat Dec 21, 2019 6:55 pm
Did mention no injuries in #1 post. Forgot about the deer. I happen to be a deer hunter and am sorry to say that guy was my only buck of the year.

Carcounter
Video Poker Master

Post by Carcounter »

Wow. Deer strikes can lead to serious injuries and are even some times fatal. You are lucky.

Eduardo
Video Poker Master

Post by Eduardo »

Glad you were okay and that the new car worked out so well. I've never had a car worth $27,000 but I've had two totaled. I was rear-ended both times, once by a car going about 50mph who looked up and fortunately swerved at the last minute, ripping off the back 1/3 of my car but at a very fortunate angle that protected all the passengers. That one was scary, but nobody was hurt in either car.

Insurance was great in both cases and I ended up feeling like a "winner" as far as the car was concerned, despite the inevitable hassle of the process. Both times I ended up with a better car at almost no cost.

Fortunately no injuries in any of my accidents. I've been rear ended 4 times now, 2 totaled. It's actually far worse when it's not totaled because repairs can take a while and you will forever be driving a devalued car where you may likely be questioning some of the repairs.

tech58
Video Poker Master

Post by tech58 »

Carcounter wrote:
Mon Dec 23, 2019 6:55 am
Wow. Deer strikes can lead to serious injuries and are even some times fatal. You are lucky.
Very true Car. At impact the cars auto-braking had no time to lessen the impact and my foot had not made the brake pedal yet. What saved us from injury,i think, was the position of the deer when we hit it. It was low and hit the car front squarely and not coming up the hood to the windshield.
BTW i was very impressed with the air-bag system.

Tedlark
Video Poker Master

Post by Tedlark »

At my deer strike the vehicle's air bag did not deploy as it was not a direct impact to the front end. I was driving along when all of a sudden I noticed a deer come from my left side, she kinda looked right at me and at first I didn't think there was all that much damage until I stopped and looked. There was no blood coming from the deer so I knew the meat would be contaminated and could not be harvested.

But over 15 thousand damage to a 1 1/2 year old Chevy Trailblazer caused by a deer makes a person slow down in heavily populated deer areas. As they say: it only takes one collision with a deer to make a person be extra cautious in such areas.