Kobe Bryant Dies In Helicopter Crash

Talk about your new shoes, new car, or UFO's!
case
VP Veteran

Kobe Bryant Dies In Helicopter Crash

Post by case »

Sad day in the sports world. Truly on the great ones.

https://www.latimes.com/california/stor ... -calabasas

OTABILL
Video Poker Master

Post by OTABILL »

RIP

OTABILL
Video Poker Master

Post by OTABILL »

OTABILL wrote:
Sun Jan 26, 2020 1:17 pm
RIP
I should have added, RIP legendary college baseball coach John Altobelli, his daughter Alyssa Altobelli and wife Keri Altobelli, Basketball coach Christina Mauser, and 3 so far unidentified persons in the tragic helicopter crash that killed basketball legend Kobe Bryant and his daughter Gianna. We mourn the deaths of all the victims.

FAA
Video Poker Master

Post by FAA »

Also awaiting the investigation results.

Antebellum Reb
Forum Regular

Post by Antebellum Reb »

Awful awful news! I haven't found the answer but why were they flying in such foggy weather? Nothing worse than preventable tragedy.

rascal
VP Veteran

Post by rascal »

Commercial aviation is the safest travel mode in the world, except perhaps for walking. Many people realize that and take comfort in that fact. But too often, travelers confuse commercial aviation with general aviation, which is not nearly as safe. The chance taken by Kobe's pilot would not have been acceptable in commercial aviation. This was a serious case of "get there itis", which can be a killer in general aviation. In this case, he lost his orientation in a cloud/fog and plowed into Mother Earth at a speed that was not survivable. Because the pilot was well qualified and had so many hours, some of you may disagree with me, but at the end of the day, he lost every soul on his aircraft.

OTABILL
Video Poker Master

Post by OTABILL »

rascal wrote:
Tue Jan 28, 2020 1:38 pm
Commercial aviation is the safest travel mode in the world, except perhaps for walking.
Commercial Aviation is safer than walking. 112 Pedestrians were killed in 2018 In Phoenix.. That's just one US City. Worldwide, the number per year has got to be well into the thousands.

advantage playe
Video Poker Master

Post by advantage playe »

I think helicopter travel is much more risky than jet travel ! google it !

Carcounter
Video Poker Master

Post by Carcounter »

I have never been on a helicopter flight and never will. Unless I need to be rescued after falling into a canyon.

rascal
VP Veteran

Post by rascal »

Helicopter flight is more dangerous for two reasons: a) when a stationary wing aircraft has mechanical problems, the pilot still sometimes has the option to perhaps glide without power or with reduced power to make an emergency landing or crash landing. But a rotary craft requires every bit of its power to stay aloft and once power is lost or substantially reduced, the craft immediately plummets and the pilot has NO control. b) from a statistics point of view, helicopters are used in rescue situations that frequently occur in inclement weather, increasing the risk probabilities. There have been numerous EMT emergency chopper flights that have been involved in incidents.

However ---- in Kobe Bryant's accident, it made no difference if this was a rotary wing or stationary wing aircraft. It plowed into the side of a steep hill at approximately 185 miles per hour. The force of impact would have been the same or worse if he had been aboard a fixed wing craft.

A trained commercial pilot in a fixed wing aircraft would have been IFR in this situation. (Instruments). That's the only way to avoid disorientation due to total loss of visibility. For the pilot of Kobe Bryant's aircraft, the only safe course of action was to have terminated the flight at Burbank. In another example involving a celebrity, John F. Kennedy Jr. would be alive today if he had been IFR instead of visual when his incident occurred many years ago.