Scanner2malware

Comments and suggestions about VideoPoker.com
MikeA
Video Poker Master

Re: Scanner2malware

Post by MikeA »

In this case WM, it launches whether you "accept", "Decline" or even try to "close the window" either with their button or by closing the popup by clicking on the red "X".  The only way I've found to get out of it's routine is by closing the browser window completely and sometimes, even re-launching the browser.  I do not recall ever having to reboot to get around it.  It launches, supposedly scanning your computer for viruses or spy-ware but there is no telling what it is really doing if anything.

jm002546

Post by jm002546 »

Could you control-alt-delete and terminate it? 

Webman
Video Poker Master

Post by Webman »

We are working on alternatives as fast as possible.  You should see some changes shortly, stay tuned.

JDanno
Forum Rookie

Post by JDanno »

I've been getting that crap also. Once I had to shut down the computer just to get rid of it. Usally contr/alt/del/ does it.
Never buy anything that acts like that!! 

bear4
Forum Regular

Post by bear4 »

Webman,

Just got that crappy malware scanner again.  I don't think it really DOES anything.  (i am double firewalled and on a secure fiber network).  it locked up the site, forcing me to exit and get back on.  Unfortunately, I didn't capture a screenshot.  I'll lay in the weeds and get that  yet .

Ohio Bob
Forum Regular

Post by Ohio Bob »

Jeez..Just hit me too! Norton anti virus  identified it as a virus called Downloader. http://securityresponse.symantec.com/se ... 18-4323-99 links to info on it. Didn't click on anything before it popped up just let my curser roll over a couple ads.

Webman
Video Poker Master

Post by Webman »

Thanks for reporting this.  I was informed that it should not be a concern this morning but apparently that was incorrect. We are working fast on an alternative.

macaroo
Forum Rookie

Post by macaroo »

This  also has happened to me several times in the last couple of weeks.  It punches thru the ZA firewall and is totally ignored by the AVG AV software.
 Being in the PC repair/SW cleanup business, I about crapped my pants as I am overly sensitive to a special case infection called: Smitfraud.  This nasty critter alters system files and pastes a flashing icon in the system tray and brings up a Ad window every 30 seconds or so. It effectively turns your PC into a nonfunctioning doorstop.  Normal clean up programs don't touch it and it requires a special removal tool downloaded off the Web.
 The first time I got the download window, I terminated everything and ran the tool thinking I had been had by this critter.
 I was about to try to capture the IP address of this drive by download and load it into the restricted zone of IE to see if it would stop it. 
  I hope the Webmaster can block it at the server level.

bigsteve5273@yahoo.c

Post by bigsteve5273@yahoo.c »

Over the past holidays malware became a problem.  Downloaded new McAffee as I needed to update anyway but apparently it did not help.   This morning the crap is back.  Webman, please scour out this mess.  Thank you.

MikeA
Video Poker Master

Post by MikeA »

Okay, here it is.  I was typing in a reply to a message or a new message.  It switched window tabs and fired off.  I got snaps of both screens after it started but never saw the ads on the screen from which it launched here on VP.COM:  When I canceled it completely closed FireFox.  I'm uaing AVG anti virus but had been running Computer Associates before that and have been hit with this.  It doesn't seem to show up in any "tracking" scans or "spy ware" scans nor in virus scans so either it is completely disguised or it is a annoyance program that does nothing except kill whatever it is you are doing.