BASEBALL FANS VOTE WITH YOUR FEET

Talk about your new shoes, new car, or UFO's!
FAA
Video Poker Master

Re: BASEBALL FANS VOTE WITH YOUR FEET

Post by FAA »

Very upset with the official response. Commissioner is the owner's boot licker/lackey, as is the case in the NFL. I have heard rumblings that he may actually backtrack and vacate the 2017 championship. I'm not holding my breath. This should have been the punishment from the outset. I'd also love to see those rings returned. Maybe MLB can auction them off for charity.

OTABILL
Video Poker Master

Post by OTABILL »

tech58 wrote:
Fri Feb 21, 2020 8:49 am
I played Baseball thru College, and have loved the game since i could walk.
This cheating travesty will not kill that love, but i will look at it differently unless the cheaters are brought to justice,as the black-sox cheaters were.
JS as to the money aspect, MLB generates a huge amount of it. I believe that the players get a fair share of it. Are they worth 9-figure salaries? Of course not!!
This big business, MLB, is in damage control mode right now. Integrity of the game is NOT important to them, protecting their cash-cow IS!!

As i have stated i believe that the fans who love the game must DEMAND justice, and stay out of the parks until that happens!!
As AR said,i will also not watch any games either. But hopefully not forever.
As much as I detest the cheating scandal and the lack of punishment to the real perpetrators, I do not support any kind of boycott of games, etc. In the first place, you would be punishing the players and teams that were not involved and frankly already suffered from the cheats. Secondly, living here in Arizona where Spring Training is underway, you would cause significant damage to our economy. Studies done in 2018 shows the economic impact this would have locally,
https://azgovernor.gov/governor/news/20 ... ing-season

I might add that Spring Training revenue accounts for 1% of our State's GDP.

notes1
Video Poker Master

Post by notes1 »

otabill, what about the economies of the cities, where the cheating affected their revenue base. we have no idea how often and long this scandal went on. other cities may have been denied playoff berths, additional games, all kinds of game/tv revenue, simply because a team decided to cheat, instead of winning fair and square.

sorry your area may be affected, but many times the most effective punishment/deterrent is to hit teams/players where it hurts the most....their wallet.

tech58
Video Poker Master

Post by tech58 »

notes1 wrote:
Fri Feb 21, 2020 9:40 pm
otabill, what about the economies of the cities, where the cheating affected their revenue base. we have no idea how often and long this scandal went on. other cities may have been denied playoff berths, additional games, all kinds of game/tv revenue, simply because a team decided to cheat, instead of winning fair and square.

sorry your area may be affected, but many times the most effective punishment/deterrent is to hit teams/players where it hurts the most....their wallet.
ot's post has the same $BILL emphasis as the commish., with no concern for the integrity of the game!!
Notes, all your valid points were swept under the rug in deference to the almighty Dollar!!
The commish.,the owners,the players union,the Tv people,the sponsors,even the self-serving talk-show hosts are NOT going to fix this mess!!
The money all comes,in one way or another, from one source. THE FANS!! And only they can bring this issue to a just conclusion.

notes1
Video Poker Master

Post by notes1 »

civilized societies have rules/laws, for a reason. and, members of that society believe the rules/laws should be followed by all, no matter the level of wealth or status. just look at the discourse in america today, partly a result of the public not believing that everyone is treated equally, according to the law. when the public looses confidence in equal justice, when some think the rules/laws do not apply to them, civility will end.

in the short term, it may be painful for baseball, but in the long term, dishing out a severe penalty to the cheating team, will benefit the game. fans will respect and believe in the game and how it is run.

our justice system needs to do the same. our government needs to do the same. no group can simply decide they are not going to follow the rules, because they do not believe in those rules. change the minds of voters or live with it.

tech58
Video Poker Master

Post by tech58 »

Total Ditto's Notes. :up:

Antebellum Reb
Forum Regular

Post by Antebellum Reb »

Carcounter wrote:
Thu Feb 20, 2020 7:53 am
Watch Altuve's home run against Chapman again and tell me he didn't know an off speed pitch was coming.
agree 100%

Tedlark
Video Poker Master

Post by Tedlark »

Too bad there isn't a modern version of Judge Kenesaw Mountain Landis around to sort this mess out. In an effort of full disclosure though, I will also say that I disagree with his punishment meted out to Shoeless Joe Jackson and Buck Weaver.

OTABILL
Video Poker Master

Post by OTABILL »

tech58 wrote:
Sat Feb 22, 2020 9:54 am
notes1 wrote:
Fri Feb 21, 2020 9:40 pm

ot's post has the same $BILL emphasis as the commish., with no concern for the integrity of the game!!
Notes, all your valid points were swept under the rug in deference to the almighty Dollar!!
The commish.,the owners,the players union,the Tv people,the sponsors,even the self-serving talk-show hosts are NOT going to fix this mess!!
The money all comes,in one way or another, from one source. THE FANS!! And only they can bring this issue to a just conclusion.
You don't get my point. What you propose would double whammy the "cities, where the cheating affected their revenue base" Not only did they lose revenue as you put it, but now lets have them lose more revenue. Punish the guilty but don't punish the innocent. The guy hawking beer at, let's say Yankee Stadium, who missed out working the world series, will now have is income cut more by your proposed boycott. Now you want to boycott Spring training games so the fans won't come and punish small business here in Arizona and Florida for the sins of multi-millionaire Houston Astros ball players. There are thousands of people and businesses who depend on income based on folks attending games at thirty major league ballparks as well. They are the ones who will suffer much more than the commissioner and the owners, not to mention the guilty ball players. Ted is right in that there are other ways to handle this issue. A scorched earth solution, which in essence is what you suggest, is not the best way of doing so.

Tedlark
Video Poker Master

Post by Tedlark »

My view on this is simple: punish the offenders, including any players involved.