The ethics of auto repair mechanics

Talk about your new shoes, new car, or UFO's!
paco13
VP Veteran

Re: The ethics of auto repair mechanics

Post by paco13 »

If she is paying for it they should definitely provide her with the codes it was showing. A gas cap issue would be throwing a code for an EVAP leak such as a P0442 code. She could reset the computer, turn off the light, like mentioned above. It may very well stay off. Could have just been a glitch. Might even have bad gas. If it comes back immediately after resetting then there almost definitely is an issue somewhere. Usually it will take a few drive cycles before it comes back on if it does.

DougJ

Post by DougJ »

paco13 wrote:
Sun Mar 08, 2020 6:11 pm
If she is paying for it they should definitely provide her with the codes it was showing. A gas cap issue would be throwing a code for an EVAP leak such as a P0442 code. She could reset the computer, turn off the light, like mentioned above. It may very well stay off. Could have just been a glitch. Might even have bad gas. If it comes back immediately after resetting then there almost definitely is an issue somewhere. Usually it will take a few drive cycles before it comes back on if it does.
Thank you for this. When the Honda dealer called, they only provided the estimate of the $2K work they wanted her to authorize, but never, not once, was any code provided, and my daughter didn't think to ask for it.
So, when she rescues her Fit tomorrow, she will insist on them providing the code, since they supposedly ran $150 worth of diagnostics.
It's aggravating that we need to have car mechanical education because the technicians/service writers can't be trusted.

OTABILL
Video Poker Master

Post by OTABILL »

Thankfully there are dealerships and service advisors that are ethical and trustworthy. A few years ago, I had the check engine light go on. Took it to my service guy at the dealership. They suspected it was the gas cap not being tight. Tested the car and charged me nothing. I was warned however, that if I wasn't careful and this happened again, I would be charged.

Chicagoan

Post by Chicagoan »

Before all Chicago area mechanics take a slam, I want to testify that I had exactly the same situation as OTABILL. The check engine light came on, I stopped at my Chevy dealership, the service advisor came out, checked the car, then told me, "there ain't nothing wrong with this car." He tightened the gas cap and reset the light. Viola, problem solved, not a penny spent. Chevy keeps me humming.

(Most modern cars and trucks have gas caps that click as you tighten it. The secret is to click it three times, no more, no less.)

(DougJ, solve the problem in the future: Buy American!)

paco13
VP Veteran

Post by paco13 »

Something that happens often here in the Northeast, as well as anywhere else it's cold I'm sure, is people don't shut their car off while they are filling it with gas 'cause they want it to stay warm. This can also throw a code. Her car doesn't seem that old but sometimes the O-ring on the cap dry rots and cracks also. Again though, this would be an evaporative emissions related code so knowing the code is important.

Carcounter
Video Poker Master

Post by Carcounter »

Years ago, dropped my car off for service at a Ford dealer in NJ. Dropped car off at 9 Am, they called at 2:30 and said car is ready. Go to pick car up, look at bill and they have charged me 8 hours labor. Ask to see manager, tell him they only had the car for 5 &1/2 hours, guy took an hour for lunch so I'll be nice guy and pay for 5 hours. He says "the book says 8 hours for this service", I say fine, keep the car, I'm leasing it from you anyway. Only had to pay for 4 hours at the end. What a bunch of BS.

DougJ

Post by DougJ »

So, my daughter got the codes today from the city Honda dealer: P0301 and P219A.

I googled the codes, and they seem generic. Still wonder if it's a gas cap problem. The $2K estimate of work they wanted to do included Valves adjustment. That alone was a $620 cost estimate.
Wonder if Autozone will come up with same codes.

Reiterating ---her experience is an indictment of auto repair mechanics nationwide, not unique to Chicago. Interesting that she shared her experience with her office mates this morning (all men), and they universally opined that this was taking advantage of a female. Geez.

paco13
VP Veteran

Post by paco13 »

P0301 means cylinder 1 is misfiring
P219A means its running rich, The O2 Sensor is reading too much fuel in the mix.
I would Suspect a bad or leaking fuel injector in #1 cylinder.
Find someone with a scan tool that can read live Data.

DougJ

Post by DougJ »

paco13 wrote:
Mon Mar 09, 2020 6:02 pm
P0301 means cylinder 1 is misfiring
P219A means its running rich, The O2 Sensor is reading too much fuel in the mix.
I would Suspect a bad or leaking fuel injector in #1 cylinder.
Find someone with a scan tool that can read live Data.
I will relay this information to my daughter. She is garaging her Fit until Friday, at least, so that she can be more prepared going forward.

You sound like either a mechanic or just someone who knows something about cars. If you're a mechanic, my apologies for the perception I'm conveying about this group. Thank you!

OTABILL
Video Poker Master

Post by OTABILL »

Chicagoan wrote:
Mon Mar 09, 2020 5:52 am
Before all Chicago area mechanics take a slam, I want to testify that I had exactly the same situation as OTABILL. The check engine light came on, I stopped at my Chevy dealership, the service advisor came out, checked the car, then told me, "there ain't nothing wrong with this car." He tightened the gas cap and reset the light. Viola, problem solved, not a penny spent. Chevy keeps me humming.

(Most modern cars and trucks have gas caps that click as you tighten it. The secret is to click it three times, no more, no less.)

(DougJ, solve the problem in the future: Buy American!)
For the record, my car was a Toyota as was the dealership. Nowadays, many Toyotas are built in the states Unfortunately, I had bad experiences with Chevys and Fords in the past so I went to Toyotas well over 20 years ago.