military

Talk about your new shoes, new car, or UFO's!
notes1
Video Poker Master

military

Post by notes1 »

i didn't want to continue my conversation with rascal on a VP thread.

rascal, i am glad you see things so clearly. as i have aged (66), the draft ended the year i became eligible, i don't have as much certainty, as i once did.

my parents had 7 kids, including four boys (i was the oldest). my father served in ww2, stayed active in the reserves for 20 years and retired as a lt.col. he loved the military and our entire family has long supported the troops.

right before he died, at age 50 from a heart attack and youngest son age 4, he wrote pres nixon about vietnam. this way not easy for him and i am sure he was thinking of his sons. he wrote about his concerns that nam was tearing the country apart, with no clear purpose and yet more than 50k americans, gave their lives. the 60's and 70's were extremely difficult times.

as a lifelong conservative i supported the many military conflicts our country has been involved in, but no longer. i supported bush jr. and believed him, when he said america would be met with welcoming arms in iraq.

was vietnam worth it? was the iraq war worth it? were we mislead/lied to by leaders with military experience? kennedy, lbj, nixon, bush jr all serve in the military and all lied about the conflict they were in charge of.

stevel96a1
Video Poker Master

Post by stevel96a1 »

was vietnam worth it? was the iraq war worth it? were we mislead/lied to by leaders with military experience? kennedy, lbj, nixon, bush jr all serve in the military and all lied about the conflict they were in charge of.

i can't speak for the war in vietnam, but i did serve in 2011, i thought it was punishment to get paid out 1120$(monthly) for a 60 hour work week load from 5am to 6pm mon thru mon and risk your neck and have all your peers to sh!t on ya! all to make below the povertline they can't even pay what cops in phila get paid out, but i was young and foolish, don't join for the money or honor but for the life style

now that i am able to support myself via gambling, i feel somewhat bad for those who did enlist for the inocme cause the marines/army beats the snot outta retail/fastfood joints

notes1
Video Poker Master

Post by notes1 »

steve, thanks for your service. by no means do i ever want to imply anything negative against the heroes, such as yourself, who put your lives on the line for the rest of us. the majority of the country are behind each of you. feel free to provide any additional details of your time in service, i know i would be interested.

i started the thread in this section (before anyone asked), because rascal and i have a small difference of opinion. after watching so many past members of the military, who became commander in chief, get our country into additional conflicts, i am no longer convinced that past military service need be a potus requirement.

don't want to speak for him, but i believe he feels differently.

thanks again!

tech58
Video Poker Master

Post by tech58 »

Agree strongly on the thanks for your service steve.
A comment about past wars. I believe that the Korean War was fought correctly, because IKE made it plain he would stop at nothing to maintain a free South Korea.The Vietnam War fought by politicians was messed up by politicians,not the military.
However i believe that both wars showed our intent to resist the spread of communism,and this ultimately lead to the implosion of the USSR when Reagan outspent them on defense.

Who knows steve what the long term fruits of your efforts will be?
The battle against radical islamic terrorists is ongoing. Keeping in mind that in all wars the victor gets to write the history.

olds442jetaway
Video Poker Master

Post by olds442jetaway »

Thanks Steve. And thanks again.