MARKETS,Anybody even yet?

Talk about your new shoes, new car, or UFO's!
olds442jetaway
Video Poker Master

Re: MARKETS,Anybody even yet?

Post by olds442jetaway »

Hijacked from my cartoon thread. I have owned this company for many years. It got clobbered really badly due to interest rates, freight costs, Covid, etc. just starting to come back now I think it has a bright future and in the meantime it’s paying 8% dividend and they own more than 50 other companies including green giant. Their are steam in the bag throw them in the microwave vegetables are my favorite.
Attachments
IMG_1980.jpeg

olds442jetaway
Video Poker Master

Post by olds442jetaway »

I’m betting that interest rates have just about peaked. That should be good for mortgage REITS. I took a shot at 4 what I think may be good ones. All paying between 9-14 percent dividends. Not looking for Growth. Just stability. Just show me the money. ( dividends ). Tiptoed in for now. See how it goes.

case
VP Veteran

Post by case »

Yes I agree we have probably seen the end of rate hikes. I am not a fan of mortgage reits but they do pay huge dividends. I know you have done your research and I agree, just pay the dividend and keep the price flat is ok.

I have started to purchase some reits as I want to get the jump before interest rates start to decline. They are cheap and will do nothing in the short term but long term they should give me appreciation along with decent dividends.

Keep us informed how the mortgage reits work out if you venture into them.

olds442jetaway
Video Poker Master

Post by olds442jetaway »

I tried to research the best I could and eliminated about 30 other ones. These all pay between 9.75-13 percent dividends. These are the ones I bought. Don’t go by me. Everyone should do their own homework on this stuff. I do get a charge out what some or many of the heavy duty financial advisors recommend. Then when you look some months later they have tanked. I did miss the boat on Microsoft this year. I knew they would be getting into AI and should have jumped on it early. Already had its run. More to go? I’m not sure. I was going to buy it at 275 in March and didn’t. 370 now. I probably have a little of it in one of the ETFs I have. The mortgage reits could still be a crap shoot. Probably will do no more than 5 percent of portfolio on them. Cash is still somewhat king. I would suggest for folks if they have the reserves to grab a cd or 2 in case rates start falling fast. Fidelity CDs already down from 5.8 to 5.45. Don’t forget your homework. The dog ate it won’t cut it anymore 😂
Attachments
IMG_2203.jpeg

case
VP Veteran

Post by case »

I had a chuckle when I saw Starwood on your list. It is actually the one I like most. I have it on a memo stuck on my computer to buy if I can get my price. I want to get it in the 18.. dollar range but have been waiting for 4 months and still waiting. Maybe one day.

olds442jetaway
Video Poker Master

Post by olds442jetaway »

Depending on the news overnight and in the morning, I may pick up one more small position in a Mortgage REIT. ( SACH ). Based in my home state, short term loans for rehab, bridge etc…..Div is over 11 percent. May be a bit risky at under 4 bucks a share, but I like the business model. Will think about it over coffee tomorrow morning. Then I am probably going to take a bit of wait and see before jumping into anything else.

olds442jetaway
Video Poker Master

Post by olds442jetaway »

I bought just a little of Sach for my IRA. That way the 11.67 percent dividend can compound tax free. It looks pretty stable the last 5 years. Hope it holds up since losses in your IRA account can’t be deducted on your income tax return.

Karl_EDT

Post by Karl_EDT »

I don't know how serious this thread is but today the spot price of Gold climbed to over $2,060 USD per ounce. At the end of last year 2022 the price was slightly above $1600 USD. The significant inflation that has persisted Since middle of 2022 along with belief that the stock market has peaked is making investors turn to Gold and other precious metals.

olds442jetaway
Video Poker Master

Post by olds442jetaway »

Funny, Gold used to be a haven for fear in the market. Now it follows it. The market did 24.5 percent for 2023. Just about what gold did. That said, I think 2024 could be rough for the market. Step at a time for me

FAA
Video Poker Master

Post by FAA »

S&P approaches 5,200 by this time then. I am with the bulls.