question for everyone...

Talk about your new shoes, new car, or UFO's!
notes1
Video Poker Master

question for everyone...

Post by notes1 »

these questions may have been discussed in the media, but i missed it. not partisan, what do you believe.

what is or should be allowed if;

-you are at home, maybe with children. a mob begins to deface your property and break windows. you feel threatened. they may burn your home. can/should you be able to use lethal force to defend your family and what is yours?

-you are at the business you own and a mob breaks in and begins to loot and destroy what is yours. can/should you be able to use lethal force to defend your business?

-you are walking alone on the streets. a gang, mob or just a single, more powerful person punches or knocks you to the ground. you are threatened. can/should you be able to use lethal force against the attacker, even though they are unarmed?

of course the first step would be to call police. but what if they cannot get there soon enough or are not responding?

be thoughtful in how you answer. i would welcome lots of opinions.

JIMDUECE`SWILD
Video Poker Master

Post by JIMDUECE`SWILD »

1st. Yes
2nd. Yes
3rd. Yes
Remember Gun sale are at an all time high

advantage playe
Video Poker Master

Post by advantage playe »

on home invasion ect. we ask questions later !! in simple terms to protect u and family u probably must shoot first !!

olds442jetaway
Video Poker Master

Post by olds442jetaway »

Yes...... however, the laws I believe in Ct state only if you are in fear of your life and have no place to retreat or exit. Don’t quote me though. I haven’t looked it up in many years. I would be in fear of my life in all of those situations. Anyone capable of doing those things would think nothing of ending your life as well. That is why it is so important to teach gun safety and respect early on in school. Just like I was taught. Last thing you want to do is miss and hit someone else

Sea Lion

Post by Sea Lion »

https://www.level1firearms.com/educatio ... nevada.php

If you own a firearm there's always the chance it could be used for self-defense. If you have incorporated the use of a firearm in your personal defense strategy, the chances increase dramatically because, in theory, your firearm is within easy reach or on your person at all times. If you are forced to pull your weapon, it must be done so under certain conditions which are defined in Nevada State Statute NRS 200.120 which basically states (paraphrased for easy reading):

Justifiable homicide is the killing of a human being in necessary self-defense.

The statutes then applies certain limitations:

In defense of an occupied habitation, an occupied motor vehicle or a person.

This then extends to the conditions:

Against one who manifestly intends or endeavors to commit a crime of violence or who intends to carry out in a violent, riotous, tumultuous or surreptitious manner, to enter the occupied habitation or occupied motor vehicle for the purpose of assaulting or offering personal violence.

Nevada Castle Doctrine
The concept of a "Castle Doctrine" essentially states as long as you are in your home you have certain expectations that you will be safe. Some states specifically create a "Castle Doctrine" to provide a legal answer as to what you can and cannot do in defense of your home. The Nevada Castle Doctrine is not specifically called "Nevada Castle Doctrine" per se, but the parameters of a Castle Doctrine defense are present under permissible circumstances:
A person is not required to retreat.
It then continues with some stipulations:
The person defending them self must be the original aggressor
Has a legal right to be where the defense took place
Was not involved with a criminal act

No Duty to Retreat
In some states you are required to retreat away from the threat rather than to engage the threat. That does not mean you cannot defend yourself, it just means if there was a way to retreat and you didn't, it could cause you a great deal of trouble. Given that, the retreat must have been available. If you were backed up to the edge of a cliff, there would be no reasonable duty to retreat because retreating would cause you greater harm than defending yourself. Some states have specifically created "Duty to Retreat" that define when you must retreat; Nevada does not have a specific law addressing when conditions are required for you to retreat. The statute explicitly states you have no duty to retreat under any circumstances. If you choose not to retreat, you'll need to convince a jury why you did so when you may have had an opportunity to avoid using your firearm.

Nevada Stand Your Ground Law
"Stand Your Ground" laws essentially build on top of the "Castle Doctrine" and "No Duty to Retreat" laws; they are essentially extending your right of self defense beyond your home. If you have a reasonable fear of loss of life or limb you can protect yourself anytime, anywhere, you have the legal right to be present while out in public. Nevada does not have a "Stand Your Ground" law either, however, the framework is present for essentially the same kind of defense.

Come hoo-riding in my neighborhood and I'll bust a cap in yer ass! :x

advantage playe
Video Poker Master

Post by advantage playe »

yes , as u pointed out olds, anyone in the line of fire behind the perp. is in danger !! could be a long way back depending on the weapon . this is only one of many reasons guns must be handled with great care !!

musicmeyer
Forum Rookie

Post by musicmeyer »

Wisconsin is a Castle Doctrine state. There is no duty to retreat and the law applies at a person’s residence, vehicle or business. To use the law, an intruder must be trying to forcibly enter a person’s home, business or vehicle while the defender is present [Wis. Stat. § 895.62, Wis. Stat. § 939.48(1m)(ar)1]. With Castle Doctrine, when a person uses force intended or likely to cause death or great bodily harm (such as shooting another person) in the course of defending themselves they have civil immunity from prosecution.

So would I defend my home, family, business, life? YES

Try going online to buy a home defense shotgun (or shot) right now......nada/zippo. My brother-in-law is a gunsmith and says it's crazy right now.

notes1
Video Poker Master

Post by notes1 »

we seem to have opinions that are all one sided. where are the folks that believe that money, property, collectibles, business inventory are just THINGS. and, human life, is always more valuable than stuff. even if that human life is trying to take/destroy those things from you illegally/at force. no matter if that stuff took a lifetime of hard work, sweat, sacrifice to put together, they are only things. where are those defenders? i know there are folks who believe that the looters should just be allowed to proceed. just like the elderly lady who was struck in the face and knocked into a fire hydrant, we all deserve these attacks against us.

what has me totally surprised is that while all those businesses were being looted, no business owner dared (that i have read about) to use deadly force to fend off the attackers. could it be that even though these owners had the legal right to protect themselves and their property, they were unsure if they would be treated fairly by the law, in this politically charged atmosphere.

what is the likelihood that some business owner, who was being looted and burned, killed the attacker(s), and ended up being arrested?

JIMDUECE`SWILD
Video Poker Master

Post by JIMDUECE`SWILD »

It does happen! ! ! This was determined as self defense.
https://www.nbcphiladelphia.com/news/lo ... y/2416373/

olds442jetaway
Video Poker Master

Post by olds442jetaway »

A short barrel shotgun is probably best for home defense. If you use something like a high power 9mm handgun, it could easily travel through the perp into another person or even a neighbors house and family nearby. Many law enforcement officers I know and have shot with in the league, feel the same way about 9mm. The old timers like myself prefer the amazing stopping power of the 45 no matter where you are hit. Of course if you have been well trained and having a firearm with you and or in your home it is second nature. One has a choice of several and in some cases many firearms of choice depending on the situation. The old tried and true 38 cal handguns used by law enforcement for so many years started failing to stop some assailants once the hyped up drug culture took hold. There were other reasons too the 38s were phased out, but if I mention that on this site...... nope. Law enforcement knows what Iam talking about though. Edited to add this.....believe it or not the 32 cal ACP has the best stopping power of all. Used many many years by the French police. My preference is the Walther PP 32. Stops the perp with one shot 72 percent of the time. Even better than a 357 Magnum, 9mm, or 45. Many pds have since gone with a 40 cal like the Glock. Anyway, each to his/her own and hopefully none of us will have to use them.