JoB VPW strategy question

Discuss video poker programs for the home user
elmoo168
Forum Newbie

JoB VPW strategy question

Post by elmoo168 »

Hi, I'm a little confused with VPW strategy play for JoB in the following scenarios, does anyone have any insight into why this is so?

If I get dealt JQK, all of a different suit, the program says the correct hold is to hold all three, but if I get dealt an Ace in place of one of the face cards, ie AKJ with all different suits, the program then says to hold only the KJ and discard the A.  Wouldn't keeping the A be the correct play since the Ace is also Jacks or Better?

While I'm on the topic of VPW, in one of the videos Bob Dancer says that Jacks or Better is the best high limit game in the country.  Is that because of the low house edge and low variance of the game?  While practicing with VPW, I can see that my bankroll doesn't get sucked out as quickly as DDB when I don't hit the quads, so if I were to go high limit then I can see that it won't be as volatile to my bankroll.  I can't imagine going high with DDB...my money won't last too long unless I get lucky early on!

shadowman
Video Poker Master

Post by shadowman »

KJ is better than AKJ, etc because it allows you make more straights. With KQJ you can make as many straights as well as pair up the high cards.

elmoo168
Forum Newbie

Post by elmoo168 »

Great, thanks!  I never thought about making straights.  It just seemed odd because A is also Jacks or better.

MikeA
Video Poker Master

Post by MikeA »

A follow-up Elmoo,I'm sure your Bob Dancer "quote" is based on exactly what you stated. i.e., lasting longer on your bankroll.  However the benefits (and rationale) come in with the comps that you will accumulate in the High Limit area playing for that extended period of time.

shadowman
Video Poker Master

Post by shadowman »

I think Mike's statement is important. JoB (9/6) is a negative game (<100%). Without cashback or other incentives of at least .5% you are still likely to lose over time. That, in itself, does not mean you should not play. It just means you should know the costs up front if you decide to play.