Pictures Embedded in Forum Msgs

If you are having problems with a game on this Web site, post here.
MikeA
Video Poker Master

Pictures Embedded in Forum Msgs

Post by MikeA »

To keep everything in one place for reference, I've posted some graphics in this message to help clarify how the "Insert Image" option can be used here.Since the need for that on this forum is normally to show a particularly good hand from a game you are playing here on the site, the first order of business is to "Grab" or "Capture" the image.  There are several free downloads available to assist in this task (Google it!) but most users can accomplish it simply by pressing the "Print Scrn" button on your computer's keyboard (PC's only, I do not know how MACs work).  You can also press "Cntl Print Scrn" to capture only the active window.This action copies an image of the screen to the "clip board" where it doesn't do you much good!  However, you can launch "MS Paint" and then "Paste" the image into that software.  From there, you can "crop" the image to show only the game's playing window which is what you normally will wish to embed into your forum message.  Once cropped, you might want to reduce it in size about 75% so that it fits more comfortably in the message viewing windows.  Then, SAVE the edited image as either a JPG or GIF file somewhere on your computer's hard drive.The next operation is getting the image from your computer up to some location on the Internet.  We have found that Yahoo offers free storage space that is accessible by third-party software.  There may be other free sites.  However keep in mind that while there are many internet offerings for storing pictures free, many (or MOST) of them will not allow forum software to indirectly link to the image.  MySpace is one of those.  You can specify the URL of the image, but the reader has to click on the URL and actually visit the site to view the picture.I have offered to store images and provide a Link to the picture at no charge.  Just contact me via a PM and I'll give you my email address so you can send me your image.  I'll edit it, upload it and give you the URL for the picture so that you can embed it in your messages here (or anywhere else for that matter).So assuming that you have your image uploaded to an accessible website, the next step is embedding it in a message.Start a message and type in a description or whatever you wish to say (if anything) and then click on the "Insert Image" icon at the top of the message window:It's the "tree" icon.That will bring up the following window:In the box the arrow is pointing to, paste or type in the URL of your image.  Note that when that window opens, "HTTP://" is already defaulted into that box.  With image URLs that I will give you, the "HTTP://" is part of the name, so be sure you erase one or the other.Really, that's about it.  You can click on "Preview" if you want to make sure that you have the URL entered correctly.  Once you are satisfied, click on "OK" and it will close that window and return you to the message you are composing.  You can either "Post" your message or continue editing it.  EDITED:  It was brought to my attention that the "Insert Image" icon does not appear on the "Quick Reply" message entry block.  It will appear however, if you "REPLY" to an existing message or if you "Quote" an existing message.  It also shows up in the "PM" entry block (Private Message).

Eduardo
Video Poker Master

Post by Eduardo »

Another good site for free photo storage is photobucket.com

BOOPSAHOY
Video Poker Master

Post by BOOPSAHOY »

Thanks Mike I will try that next time I get a good hand (dont hold your breath) Why cant I just save it on my computer and cut and paste it here???

Eduardo
Video Poker Master

Post by Eduardo »

Because the picture has to live on the internet somewhere for other people to see it. You don't want them loading the image directly off of your computer.

BOOPSAHOY
Video Poker Master

Post by BOOPSAHOY »

What about kodakgallery.com? would that work?

Eduardo
Video Poker Master

Post by Eduardo »

Give it a try. Most places that let you put pictures online will work but some of them block you from posting on message boards like that.  You'll have to try it and see.

I mention the photobucket.com one because it's very easy to use and they have always let you post their hosted images on boards (in fact, they seem to encourage it by providing you with the links to use, etc)

MikeA
Video Poker Master

Post by MikeA »

EDITED:  It was brought to my attention that the "Insert Image" icon
does not appear on the "Quick Reply" message entry block.  It will
appear however, if you "REPLY" to an existing message or if you "Quote"
an existing message.  It also shows up in the "PM" entry block (Private Message).

BOOPSAHOY
Video Poker Master

Post by BOOPSAHOY »

Thanks Mike I noticed that last nite but was too tired to post!!

Mr.Dawes

Post by Mr.Dawes »

I tried to insert an image that I posted on Flickr and it would not work. Has anyone else had this problem?