Why play "BONUS POKER"?

Why do you play video poker? What is your favorite game and why?
grammybaby
Forum Newbie

Re: Why play "BONUS POKER"?

Post by grammybaby »

Comparing the long term odds of getting 10 for two pair versus playing a bonus type of game like Super Super Double is moot as far as I'm concerned. I won't play at the same machine for more than a $40 investment so long term odds don't apply. Even if you play on the same machine for hours, the long term odds may not apply depending on the variability of hands. I play SS Double for 4 of a kinds almost exclusively unless I get 4 to a SF or 3 to a RF. Winning 4 of a kind is the only thing that will keep you in the game. This strategy results in me walking away in the money, several hundreds if not thousands up one out of every 2-3 visits.

onemoretry
Video Poker Master

Post by onemoretry »

grammybaby wrote:
Mon Oct 16, 2023 7:11 am
I won't play at the same machine for more than a $40 investment so long term odds don't apply. Even if you play on the same machine for hours, the long term odds may not apply....
The "long term odds", with their variance, ALWAYS apply. It doesn't matter that the play on one machine is just short term.

There is no difference, in the long term, in playing 1,000,000 hands on one machine, or playing one hand on each of 1,000,000 machines.

dinghy
Video Poker Master

Post by dinghy »

grammybaby wrote:
Mon Oct 16, 2023 7:11 am
This strategy results in me walking away in the money, several hundreds if not thousands up one out of every 2-3 visits.
What happens in the other 1-2 visits?

dinghy
Video Poker Master

Post by dinghy »

onemoretry wrote:
Mon Oct 16, 2023 10:51 am
The "long term odds", with their variance, ALWAYS apply. It doesn't matter that the play on one machine is just short term.
I want to see the look on their faces when the experts find out they did all those calculations for nothing.

And I wonder what else is wrong. They say you can't travel faster than light. But what if the pilots switch seats every 4 hours to keep out of the long run? It's not guaranteed to work, but I think you have to at least try.

Glamma65
Forum Newbie

Post by Glamma65 »

Seems that you can play longer with your money and there is some thought into playing the game too

tiger999
Forum Newbie

Post by tiger999 »

ditto

Minnesota3
Forum Regular

Post by Minnesota3 »

8/5 Bonus is my favorite game. I was a nonbeliever in the beginning, but those extreme variance swings in DDB or TDB were eating me alive. I used to play multi-line DDB or TDB, but have gradually switched to single line Bonus Poker. Yes, I give a big sigh when I see AAAA2, but overall it has been well worth it!

olds442jetaway
Video Poker Master

Post by olds442jetaway »

Wish they still had 8/5 BP at Mohegan Sun. Been gone more than 10 years I think. The one time I hit quad Aces 5 times in an hour was nice.

applepear86

Post by applepear86 »

I like it on double super times pay, because it's super volatile to begin with with the 2 extra coins. When I play that, it's just me hoping for the 10x dealt royal like an idiot lol.

It's also useful for smoothing out long term results, while still giving you a small spiff for premium quads. Depends if you want to play VP like it's the lottery (triple double and others), or if you're hoping to reliably maintain a bankroll. All about your goals.

Minnesota3
Forum Regular

Post by Minnesota3 »

applepear86 wrote:
Sat Oct 28, 2023 4:34 am
I like it on double super times pay, because it's super volatile to begin with with the 2 extra coins. When I play that, it's just me hoping for the 10x dealt royal like an idiot lol.

It's also useful for smoothing out long term results, while still giving you a small spiff for premium quads. Depends if you want to play VP like it's the lottery (triple double and others), or if you're hoping to reliably maintain a bankroll. All about your goals.
Have you seen the dealt triple play $1 denom Royal on Double Super Times Pay on YouTube? It is from the channel mike841. $21 bet for $240,000!